Getting a bootable USB stick containing Ubuntu 16.04 to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a bootable USB stick containing Ubuntu 16.04 to work

In 2016, I bought a laptop containing Ubuntu 16.04. In 2022, I installed on that laptop Ubuntu 22.04. I did not create a dual-boot arrangement; so Ubuntu 16.04 was erased from my laptop. Ubuntu 22.04 lacks the drivers needed to run some things on my printer, which also copies and scans. The scanner worked perfectly under Ubuntu 16.04; so I recently went to Ubuntu’s site and found that Ubuntu 16.04 still is available. So I created a bootable USB stick containing Ubuntu 16.04. I plugged it into one of my laptop’s USB ports and then hit restart. I saw the bootable stick’s contents being read during the restart period. Once the restart was finished I opened Writer, but it’s not the 16.04 version. It’s not because it lacks 2 fonts (Dingbats and Nimbus Roman No. 9L) that were on the 16.04 version of Writer. Can someone please explain to me what I must do to get that bootable stick’s Ubuntu 16.04 contents to work?

Ubuntu 16.04 is no longer supported, except through its Expanded Maintenance program. We just need to figure out your actual printer problem so you can copy and scan.

Many computers are supported via wireless connections either through your router or in some cases directly with your computer. So let's start with what is your printer make and model?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem. The printer is an HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M277dw.

Comment

In my experience most HP printers work better wirelessly. Now I can't speak directly to the color laser printer, but what have you done so far to connect?
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem. The printer is an HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M277dw.

Comment

The scanner worked fine under Ubuntu 16.04. It used a scanner program called Simple Scan. Synaptic tells me that SimpleScan is installed now on Ubuntu 22.04, which seems to call it "Document Scanner." When the scanner program is on the screen, it says "Ready to Scan." I put a sheet of paper containing print into the scanner area and hit "Scan". The result is this message: "Failed to Scan. Unable to connect to scanner." I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem. That's why I've gone back to 16.04 with a bootable flash drive. As I said, the scanner worked fine under Ubuntu 16.04; so that version of Ubuntu must have the drivers needed for my printer/scanner (HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M277dw). The list of HP printers under Ubuntu 22.04 excludes HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M277dw. So that's how things stand right now. I should add that I would use Ubuntu 16.04 only when I want to scan something. At all other times, I'll use Ubuntu 22.04.
            Last edited by wtb32141; Oct 08, 2023, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X