X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu GUI freeze issue

Hello

My friend and me have same problem. Kubuntu GUI freeze issue.
    When GUI freeze we can move mouse cursor but could not click anywhere. Keyboard is not working except switching to ASCII console with Ctrl+Alt+F2. ASCII console is working properly.
    We have to switch ASCII console and then reboot laptops when this issue occur

This problem is occuring every couple of days since last 2-3 months, sometimes twice a day. We tried many things but no progress.

We are thinking consider to switch linux distrubution because both laptop is our working environment.

My laptop is : Lenovo Thinkpad E15, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Radeon RX, 32 GB RAM
    lsb_release -a output is
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
    Release: 22.04
    Codename: jammy
    Kernel is "Linux executor 5.19.0-38-generic #39~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Mar 17 21:16:15 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"

My friend's laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad E15 Gen3, Amd Ryzen 7 seriies CPU and AMD radeon​, 40 GB RAM
    ​lsb_release -a output is
    Description: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
    Release: 22.04
    Codename: jammy​
    Kernel is : Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Kernel is "Linux kubuntu 5.15.0-69-generic #76-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 17 17:19:29 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux​"

We could also share any more information that you requested

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Murat Suluhan​

Hello.

Did you already try searching this forum for "freeze" or something similar?
    You will get a lot of answers (also how to narrow the "freezing" down) and some of them could lead to a solution - because what you described can have a lot of different reasons (and a totally different one from one of the both laptops to the other)…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 04, 2023, 07:47 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Try a different kernel. I had a similar issue and it helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        Hello.

Did you already try searching this forum for "freeze" or something similar?
        You will get a lot of answers (also how to narrow the "freezing" down) and some of them could lead to a solution - because what you described can have a lot of different reasons (and a totally different one from one of the both laptops to the other)…
        Hello Schwarzer

Already searched the forum and also other resources and tried some advices but did not help
        Therefore I asked help with different topic

Yesterday, I had another freeze problem and in dmesg output I saw a little PCI Bus error and mostly Microsoft Teams errors.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by arsivci View Post
          Try a different kernel. I had a similar issue and it helped.
          Hello arsivci

AFAIK, I already upgraded my kernel but no progress
          Can you share your kernel version ?

Thanks

Comment

So what did you try that did not help?

The general test: Did you create a new user account and tried if the problem still exists?
            Even more universal: Did you try booting and working from a USB live session?
            Did you install the 5.19 kernel on the AMD laptop (sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-22.04)?
            Did you try the 5.15 kernel on the Intel Laptop?
            Did you try a Wayland session instead of X11?
            Did you try another Gear &Frameworks version from the Kubuntu Backports (and installed ppa-purge before to be able to revert the changes!)?
            …?

We have to narrow it down somehow (perhaps with dmesg and journalctl) or by trial and error.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 06, 2023, 07:30 AM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I had problems with 5.19 kernel (cpu=AMD) and had to drop all the way down to 5.5 (20.4), moved up 5.15 hwe (20.4+22.4) and never had any problems. A week ago, discover pushed a 5.19 kernel again (5.19.0.38 #39) and I decided to give it a go since I have a problem-free 5.15 kernel as a back up) and so far did not have any issues. Frankly, I am not sure if it's the kernel or something else that fixed it (there was a firmware update along the way, maybe that helped). This freeze is tough to nail because I can not reproduce it. I also did not have any issues with 6.1 kernel but used it for only a couple of days). All I can say it looks like a KDE or kwin issue and I have no idea where to look. You must have a second kernel available in Grub so give it a go for the AMD machine, at least.

Comment

The general test: Did you create a new user account and tried if the problem still exists?
                Did you install the 5.19 kernel on the AMD laptop (sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-22.04)?
                Did you try another Gear &Frameworks version from the Kubuntu Backports (and installed ppa-purge before to be able to revert the changes!)?
                …?

We have to narrow it down somehow (perhaps with dmesg and journalctl) or with trial and error.
                Hello Schwarzer

Found some scripts and/or commands to restart or kill some process like kwin and also found some settings for kubuntu general options
                Also apply some updates on packages and/or kernel

No I did not, we are using laptops very actively, but I could test it

I think USB Live session is really hard to test, because I am using same OS more than 1,5 years and I don' t know how to reproduce problem. I updated 20.04 to 22.04.1 when it's available so I am using 22.04.1 LTS quite long time

We can test and update you

Yes I did, had same problem

No, I did not, I will test it

…?​ Let me check this option

Thanks

Comment

Hello again

Last minute update

I had another freeze again, I discovered that there are teams related errors in dmesg output
                  So switched to another teams version from snap

There is no error yet

Thanks

Comment

I think that Microsoft has wanted you to use the web version of Teams for some time now and has stopped supporting anything else officially on Linux - I may be wrong.
                    But if Teams were the cause of your problems I would do so and not use the unofficial Snap, the Flatpak or a PPA - then the problems could go away completely I would think…

Comment

Managed to get folowing from xsession errors, just after the freeze (5.19 kernel):

Code:
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 56100, resource id: 14686766, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 56101, resource id: 14686766, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 58339, resource id: 14686950, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 58340, resource id: 14686950, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 59367, resource id: 14687020, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 59368, resource id: 14687020, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      file:///usr/share/kwin/tabbox/informative/contents/ui/main.qml:123: TypeError: Cannot call method 'longestCaption' of null
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 6509, resource id: 14688175, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 6510, resource id: 14688175, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 6513, resource id: 14688175, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 6514, resource id: 14688175, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      kwin_core: XCB error: 152 (BadDamage), sequence: 7977, resource id: 14688296, major code: 143 (DAMAGE), minor code: 3 (Subtract)
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12776, resource id: 14688766, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 12777, resource id: 14688766, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12780, resource id: 14688766, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 12781, resource id: 14688766, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 25073, resource id: 14689762, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 25074, resource id: 14689762, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 25077, resource id: 14689762, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 25078, resource id: 14689762, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 29149, resource id: 14690089, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 29150, resource id: 14690089, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 29153, resource id: 14690089, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 29154, resource id: 14690089, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 57520, resource id: 14692262, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 57521, resource id: 14692262, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 57524, resource id: 14692262, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 57525, resource id: 14692262, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 60471, resource id: 14692437, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 60472, resource id: 14692437, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 63704, resource id: 14692718, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 63705, resource id: 14692718, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 6288, resource id: 14693235, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 6289, resource id: 14693235, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 10021, resource id: 14693506, major code: 3 (GetWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 10022, resource id: 14693506, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      kwin_core: XCB error: 152 (BadDamage), sequence: 11778, resource id: 14693622, major code: 143 (DAMAGE), minor code: 2 (Destroy)
                      kwin_core: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 11779, resource id: 65012052, major code: 129 (SHAPE), minor code: 6 (Input)
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 11780, resource id: 65012052, major code: 2 (ChangeWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      kwin_core: XCB error: 152 (BadDamage), sequence: 12663, resource id: 14693680, major code: 143 (DAMAGE), minor code: 2 (Destroy)
                      kwin_core: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12664, resource id: 65012062, major code: 129 (SHAPE), minor code: 6 (Input)
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 12665, resource id: 65012062, major code: 2 (ChangeWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                      file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/components.3/ScrollView.qml:37:27: QML ScrollBar: Binding loop detected for property "visible"
                      qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 23407, resource id: 33554660, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
                      kwin_core: XCB error: 152 (BadDamage), sequence: 33400, resource id: 14695236, major code: 143 (DAMAGE), minor code: 2 (Destroy)
                      kwin_core: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 33401, resource id: 65012117, major code: 129 (SHAPE), minor code: 6 (Input)​

Mouse cursor moving but not functioning, keyboard gets you only to a tty, otherwise useless.

Comment

arsivci :

This looks like a problem with Kwin / the xcb plugin (https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-requirements.html) - perhaps in combination with the 5.19 kernel.

I would either try the Kubuntu Backports or the Wayland session in your case - but this is also trial and error as I already wrote above.
                        Only someone like a KDE developer (or someone with equal knowledge/competence) could give you a solution in combiniation with a proper explanation for this, I think.
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 06, 2023, 07:37 AM.

Comment

arsivci :

This looks like a problem with Kwin / the xcb plugin (https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-requirements.html) - perhaps in combination with the 5.19 kernel.

I would either try the Kubuntu Backports or the Wayland session in your case - but this is also trial and error as I already wrote above.
                          Only someone like a KDE developer (or someone with equal knowledge/competence) could give you a solution in combiniation with a proper explanation for this, I think.
                          Should I check other logs, any suggestions? Presently, devs do not have much to go on.

Comment

Working...
                          X