This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox

I know that many are NOT looking forward to the new Firefox, based on whatever fears or understanding of changes that will be driven to the user. Some have already given up on Firefox in advance. I've installed Vivaldi, and use it occasionally. I'm sure there are dozens of other browsers that will be sworn by and sworn at. Anyway, this showed up in my inbox today from Mozilla.org. Do with the info as you please, comment on the new Firefox as you see fit, just don't shoot the messenger!

The new Firefox. Fast for good.
    Today we’re thrilled to introduce you to our brand new browser — Firefox Quantum.

What you’ll notice first is that the new Firefox is blazing fast. In fact, you’ll enjoy speeds up to twice as fast as a year ago. It’s also more powerful. We’ve rebuilt Firefox from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today to watch, listen, create and play without limits. We’re excited to deliver a browser that feels completely different — modern, quick and efficient. We think you’ll agree: It’s a quantum leap forward in how you’ll experience the internet.

When you use Firefox, you’re also contributing to a movement to ensure the internet remains a global public resource, open and accessible to all. As an independent, not-for-profit organization, we’ve been committed since 2003 to building products that put you in control of your online life and advancing open technology and public policy that promote a healthier internet. We put you at the center of everything we do.

On behalf of Mozilla's global community, we're proud to introduce you to the new Firefox. Fast for good.

Chris Beard
    CEO, Mozilla

P.S. If you have any questions, we're always here to help.
    I plan to look at it, try it, see if it browses, and see what may be missing - or added. I don't care about the corporate politics of Mozilla. All I care about is what the new Firefox has to offer, what may have been lost, what may be coming.

Rock on with your own observations!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

I was using PaleMoon, with Tor and FF54 as a backup. I DL'd the FF57 tar file and installed it into my home directory. The first time I ran it, it automatically replaced the previous version of FF that was in the menu, after transfering its settings. It said I had one add-on which didn't work, but later that add-on popped open saying it had been automatically updated.

2X faster is no lie. FF57 is very fast. In checking it preferences it gives me the same control as FF54. My add-on is an email button. It works great for emailing a web page link to a friend.

After playing with it all afternoon I've decided to keep it and use it as my primary browser. Security? After my P2P studies I've decided that security is non-existent regardless of what you are running or using.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've been using Fx57 beta since it was released. uBlock origin is the only extension I have so the loss of legacy extensions isn't traumatic for me. I fully understand that others may not feel the same way.

I'm totally happy with Fx57!
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I've been waiting for this. Will it be updated in Kubuntu in the regular way, or will Artful remain on ff56?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          I was using PaleMoon, with Tor and FF54 as a backup. I DL'd the FF57 tar file and installed it into my home directory. The first time I ran it, it automatically replaced the previous version of FF that was in the menu, after transfering its settings. It said I had one add-on which didn't work, but later that add-on popped open saying it had been automatically updated.

2X faster is no lie. FF57 is very fast. In checking it preferences it gives me the same control as FF54. My add-on is an email button. It works great for emailing a web page link to a friend.

After playing with it all afternoon I've decided to keep it and use it as my primary browser. Security? After my P2P studies I've decided that security is non-existent regardless of what you are running or using.
          Unless I'm missing something, if you go to "customize", you can drag a button to do that on the toolbar without an addon.

Comment

Originally posted by ahaaje View Post
            I've been waiting for this. Will it be updated in Kubuntu in the regular way, or will Artful remain on ff56?
            Artful will get regular updates to Firefox since Firefox is in the Main repository.
            Main - Canonical-supported free and open-source software.
            But you'll have to wait a few days for the folks at Canonical to make some changes to the home page, bookmarks, removing the built-in updater, etc.
            Last edited by chimak111; Nov 15, 2017, 08:56 AM.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Do with the info as you please, comment on the new Firefox as you see fit, just don't shoot the messenger!
              I'm glad you posted this. One of the nice benefits of hanging out around here--keeping up with stuff. This sounds very good to me, I've always used Firefox (and lately also Chromium, as needed). So, for 14.04, will this new FX be coming into the repositories; or does one have to d/l and self-manage the updates and such? Will it work with 14.04?
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                I'm glad you posted this. One of the nice benefits of hanging out around here--keeping up with stuff. This sounds very good to me, I've always used Firefox (and lately also Chromium, as needed). So, for 14.04, will this new FX be coming into the repositories; or does one have to d/l and self-manage the updates and such? Will it work with 14.04?
                If you've installed it from the repos, you'll not need to do anything special. It will update along with your other software. I don't see any reason why 14.04 shouldn't get the updated version as well.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  If you've installed it from the repos, you'll not need to do anything special. It will update along with your other software. I don't see any reason why 14.04 shouldn't get the updated version as well.
                  The beta and other pre-release Mozilla ppas all have packages for 14.04.................

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    The beta and other pre-release Mozilla ppas all have packages for 14.04...
                    +1

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill..._filter=trusty
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks, chimak111, for your response
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                        Unless I'm missing something, if you go to "customize", you can drag a button to do that on the toolbar without an addon.
                        You're not, there is. In FF54 I couldn't get it to work. Now that you reminded me of it, I tried it out in FF57 and it works. Thanks for the memory jog!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Code:
                          $ apt policy firefox
                          firefox:
                           Installed: (none)
                           [B]Candidate: 57.0+build4-0ubuntu0.16.04.5[/B]
                           Version table:
                              57.0+build4-0ubuntu0.16.04.5 500
                                 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
                              56.0+build6-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 500
                                 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
                              45.0.2+build1-0ubuntu1 500
                                 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
                          $
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                            Code:
                            $ apt policy firefox
                            firefox:
                            Installed: (none)
                            [B]Candidate: 57.0+build4-0ubuntu0.16.04.5[/B]
                            Version table:
                                  500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
                               56.0+build6-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 500
                                  500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
                                  500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
                            $
                            Code:
                            vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$  apt policy firefox
                            firefox:
                             Installed: 1:56.0+build6-0ubuntu0.17.04.1
                             Candidate: 1:56.0+build6-0ubuntu0.17.04.1
                             Version table:
                            *** 1:56.0+build6-0ubuntu0.17.04.1 500
                                   500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/plasmazilla/releases/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
                                   100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                                   500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
                                   500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
                                   500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
                            it would seem that plasmazilla's numbering is keeping me from getting it ,,,,,,unless I were to "force" the version

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              it would seem that plasmazilla's numbering is keeping me from getting it ,,,,,,unless I were to "force" the version

VINNY
                              If it weren't for your post, I'd never have known about plasmazilla! Maybe the modifications to "plasma-fy" Firefox make take a little while? Have you compared "regular" versus the plasma versions of Firefox? Any sort of SWOT analysis relevant to KDE users?
                              Last edited by chimak111; Nov 16, 2017, 07:21 PM. Reason: fixed SWOT
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X