Testing Other Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Other Distros

Just like everyone else, I do from time to time like to look at other Distros.

Ran across Lubuntu. Played with the Live ISO via Ventoy for several days now.

I will have to say, for a light weight DT front end, not bad. Since it is QT based I noted they do borrow from KDE.

Interface is simple but very intuitive. There are some idiosyncrasies, but those just may be due to running the Live ISO as I am.

I've tried it on a modern HP Laptop i5/16GB RAM and on my Panasonic CF-53 older i5/8GB RAM. Both boot methods run well.

I may or may not test the install process.

In all, nice. I will stick with my KDE Neon / Kubuntu 22.04 systems I use but in all, I can rate this an 8 out of 10, which for me is high.

Purge snapd from Lubuntu 22.04, replace Openbox with Xfwm4 and enable the Lubuntu backports for LXQt 1.2.0: https://lubuntu.me/jammy-backports-22-04-1/ - and you have one of the best, if not the best, LXQt-distribution.
    Runs like a charm even on very old systems, unfortunately it is 64-bit only.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

I agree on the 64bit piece. If it was 32 bit, I have a very old Celeron system I'd like play with.

Comment

It's great that you're exploring different Linux distributions and giving Lubuntu a try. Lubuntu is a popular lightweight Linux distribution that is based on Ubuntu and uses the LXQt desktop environment, which is indeed built using the Qt toolkit and checker residency personal statement editing​ It's not uncommon for a Linux distribution to borrow elements from other desktop environments or applications to improve its user experience, and it's great to see that you found Lubuntu's interface simple and intuitive. Some idiosyncrasies may be present when running a Live ISO, but these should be ironed out once you install the operating system on your computer.​

Comment

Originally posted by Vender View Post
          It's great that you're exploring different Linux distributions and giving Lubuntu a try. Lubuntu is a popular lightweight Linux distribution that is based on Ubuntu and uses the LXQt desktop environment, which is indeed built using the Qt toolkit.

It's not uncommon for a Linux distribution to borrow elements from other desktop environments or applications to improve its user experience, and it's great to see that you found Lubuntu's interface simple and intuitive. Some idiosyncrasies may be present when running a Live ISO, but these should be ironed out once you install the operating system on your computer.​
          This sounds exactly like Bard chatbot output I have actually seen, personally............

Comment

• GreyGeek
            GreyGeek commented
            Editing a comment
            The was my EXACT first impression!
            I played with ChatGPT and asked it a variety of questions, all of which were answered in a tone similar to that post. I also used it to write some btrfs and PostgreSQL scripts, which it did very aptly. I also discovered that it is WOKE.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          This sounds exactly like Bard chatbot output I have actually seen, personally............
          Has that feel. SFS doesn’t have anything by email address or IP. Will keep a wary eye.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

SFS probably is not going to be able to handle the chatbot 'invasions' until they become widespread like spambots are, and use the same sorts of IP addresses/providers, and get reported by others.
            Right now, these are just feelers, testers, and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Right now, these are just feelers, testers, and the like.
              Likely.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

All I can say is .

Comment

Working...
                X