Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

undeleting a TRASH item

currently on a somewhat disposable machine i am running Kubuntu 22.04 LTS
    I am using this machine coupled with two toasters usb tethered and running kubuntu.
    my objectives are on track to move files from a failing 3 1/2'' laptop HD in a toaster to a 4TB drive in another toaster but this really slow.

I changed my style and started to simply COPY & Paste from the failing 3 1/2'' drive to the desktop,,, then copy from the desktop to my 4TB drive,, things move faster this way for some reason.

I am stuck on how to quicken the pace to get vids off this failing 3 1/2'' drive to the 4TB drive. My son is turning me on to linux and i am all for it so every time i ask im "Can linux do xyz...", he says Yes. Which brings me here............. to my question below.

situation:
    I deleted vids from a toaster mounted & failing 3 1/2 drive usb attached to the kubuntu trash of the above mentioned laptop.
    I have another toaster attached to this same laptop holding a 4TB storage drive.

can i undelete or restore these vids to a different drive other than where they came from??
    I noticed by experimenting that i can in little to no time at all delete a vid from this failing 3 1/2'' external toaster mounted drive and this deleted item appears in my laptop kubuntu trash folder. If i can simply delete the vids and then restore them to the good 4TB drive,, this solves my problem with TIME to transfer files.

in otherwords,,
    can a file that has been deleted to kubuntu trash be undeleted but mapped to be restored to another destination other than their original source?

the purpose of this is i have around 40 or so vids i want to get off this failing 3 1/2 '' laptop HD but at the pace other files are taking like docx, vsd. pdf, xls etc, , i think its fairly certain to say that 40 vids might take 40 years to move.

when i do move files from the failing hd mentioned thats failing, my transfer rate from the 3 1/2'' hd looks to be on average 250kb / sec.

thanks in advance,,,, jcassity at frontier dot com

ps.... i am growing further and further away from microshaft since being exposed to linux.

thanks,,

scottt

drive is failing, you probably want to stop reading/writing to it altogether, or at least minimize it.
    You can't speed things up, and Linux won't really make it faster per se.

You would want to make an image of the drive (of course this can require a LOT of drive space), and/or use tools such as testdisk and.or photorec to go through and find files from that image, or just mount the image like a drive and poke around non-destructively.
    Both tools an be used in Linux or Windows, among others.

Comment

Originally posted by jcassity View Post
      If i can simply delete the vids and then restore them to the good 4TB drive,, this solves my problem with TIME to transfer files.
      That isn't how it works.

Deleting a file "seem"s fast because all that is happening (and this is true in Windows and any other OS) is the 'delete' bit is being flipped which flags the file so it isn't displayed, and marks all the space it occupies as available by the system for writing to. When one then "empties" the trash, the files are still not actually deleted from the drive, but the bit that permits it to be recovered from the trash is again changed, making it unrecoverable "through normal means". The space value it occupied is subtracted from the total disc space used. If one were to never again write to the disc; after emptying the Trash; the entire contents of the Trash would be recoverable (with external tools).
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

my objectives are on track to move files from a failing 3 1/2'' laptop HD in a toaster to a 4TB drive in another toaster but this really slow.
        How is it failing? Message warnings? Temperature excursions?

I changed my style and started to simply COPY & Paste from the failing 3 1/2'' drive to the desktop,,, then copy from the desktop to my 4TB drive,, things move faster this way for some reason.
        If it is working keep it up until the files are transfered.

I am stuck on how to quicken the pace to get vids off this failing 3 1/2'' drive to the 4TB drive. My son is turning me on to linux and i am all for it so every time i ask im "Can linux do xyz...", he says Yes. Which brings me here............. to my question below.
        Smart kid!

can i undelete or restore these vids to a different drive other than where they came from??
        I noticed by experimenting that i can in little to no time at all delete a vid from this failing 3 1/2'' external toaster mounted drive and this deleted item appears in my laptop kubuntu trash folder. If i can simply delete the vids and then restore them to the good 4TB drive,, this solves my problem with TIME to transfer files.

in otherwords,,
        can a file that has been deleted to kubuntu trash be undeleted but mapped to be restored to another destination other than their original source?
        No. Dolphin's trash can offers no destination option when you restore a file. The file is returned to its original position in the file structure. You can NOT drag it out of the trash can to another location either.
        You can, however, click on the file in the trash can and it will be opened by a suitable client. For example, if the file is a jpg or png then Gwenview will open it. From Gwenview you can save it to another location outside the trash can, but that method would probably be slower than what you are doing and would probably also tax your failing HD.

the purpose of this is i have around 40 or so vids i want to get off this failing 3 1/2 '' laptop HD but at the pace other files are taking like docx, vsd. pdf, xls etc, , i think its fairly certain to say that 40 vids might take 40 years to move.

when i do move files from the failing hd mentioned thats failing, my transfer rate from the 3 1/2'' hd looks to be on average 250kb / sec.

thanks in advance,,,, jcassity at frontier dot com

ps.... i am growing further and further away from microshaft since being exposed to linux.

thanks,,

scottt
        Allow me to recommend rescuezilla
        https://rescuezilla.com/
        It is the gui version of clonezilla.
        Here is a video on how to use clonezilla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW4_tqBaczw
        Reimage the failing HD on a working drive and restore your vids from it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X