This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Servers?

Ok, I give up. How do I get NFS up and running? I want to export some directories to my local home network, so my videos can be watched again.
    --
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

This topic has been thoroughly covered in previous posts to this forum. Search for "NFS" in the search box in the upper right corner of this page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      This topic has been thoroughly covered in previous posts to this forum. Search for "NFS" in the search box in the upper right corner of this page.

Been there, done that. Response I'm getting:

Code:
      Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
      --

Comment

I had a hard time installing it because of that defective tool called "Discovery". It doesn't list the software I'm searching for, and lists a bunch of silly games and other trash I'm not interested in. I hate having to wade through garbage and not finding what I want. Is there a proper software install/remove GUI tool I can use?

I finally found that I had to use apt-get, not a GUI, but at least it finally found what I asked for, unlike that useless "Discovery" toy.

I was able to use systemctl to enable and start the NFS server, and my WDTV box is able to connect, but it's only getting directory names, no file content! Why is that?

Code:
        root@behne:/# cat /etc/exports
        /home/russ/public_video     192.0.2.0/24(root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
        /home/russ/public_music     192.168.1.0/24(ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
        /home/russ/public_pictures    192.168.1.0/24(ro,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)
        root@behne:/#
        --

Comment

Originally posted by rwbehne1 View Post
          I was able to use systemctl to enable and start the NFS server, and my WDTV box is able to connect, but it's only getting directory names, no file content! Why is that?
          I have a pair of WD TV Live boxes and TBH using NFS for them is probably overkill. I use minidlna to serve up DLNA content to the WDTV boxes and have been happy with them for a bunch of years. Easy peasy.

Code:
          sudo apt install minidlna
          And just for fun, here's my /etc/minidlna.conf - as you can see all you need to do is point the config file at your multimedia directories - you'll notice I only changed a handful of lines in the file.

Code:
          # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic
          port=8200

# network interfaces to serve, comma delimited
          #network_interface=eth0

# specify the user account name or uid to run as
          #user=jmaggard

# set this to the directory you want scanned.
          # * if you want multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines
          # * if you want to restrict a media_dir to specific content types, you
          #   can prepend the types, followed by a comma, to the directory:
          #   + "A" for audio  (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)
          #   + "V" for video  (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)
          #   + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)
          #   + "PV" for pictures and video (eg. media_dir=PV,/home/jmaggard/digital_camera)
          #media_dir=/opt
          media_dir=V,/mnt/external/Videos
          media_dir=P,/mnt/external/Pictures
          media_dir=A,/mnt/external/Music

# set this to merge all media_dir base contents into the root container
          # note: the default is no
          #merge_media_dirs=no

# set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your clients
          friendly_name=minidlna

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache
          #db_dir=/var/cache/minidlna

# set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file
          #log_dir=/var/log

# set this to change the verbosity of the information that is logged
          # each section can use a different level: off, fatal, error, warn, info, or debug
          #log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=warn

# this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for album art
          # note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/")
          album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

# set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover new files
          # note: the default is yes
          inotify=yes

# set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to a TiVo supporting HMO
          enable_tivo=no

# set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards.
          # * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images,
          #   which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA products.
          strict_dlna=no

# default presentation url is http address on port 80
          #presentation_url=http://www.mylan/index.php

# notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds.
          notify_interval=300

# serial and model number the daemon will report to clients
          # in its XML description
          serial=12345678
          model_number=1

# specify the path to the MiniSSDPd socket
          #minissdpdsocket=/var/run/minissdpd.sock

# use different container as root of the tree
          # possible values:
          #   + "." - use standard container (this is the default)
          #   + "B" - "Browse Directory"
          #   + "M" - "Music"
          #   + "V" - "Video"
          #   + "P" - "Pictures"
          #   + Or, you can specify the ObjectID of your desired root container (eg. 1$F for Music/Playlists)
          # if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root
          #root_container=.

# always force SortCriteria to this value, regardless of the SortCriteria passed by the client
          #force_sort_criteria=+upnp:class,+upnp:originalTrackNumber,+dc:title

# maximum number of simultaneous connections
          # note: many clients open several simultaneous connections while streaming
          #max_connections=50
          I also have NFS installed and use it and autofs to move stuff between Linux boxes but if all you're doing is serving up multimedia I think you may find minidlna more to your liking.

Good luck -
          Last edited by wizard10000; Aug 31, 2017, 08:57 AM.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Discover isn't the best GUI to the repository. Right now the best choices are Synaptic and Muon.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I never heard of minidlna before. I downloaded it, but I don't know how to get it working with my
              WDTV box. I looked through the menus but saw no mention of DLNA or how to use it.

Ok, I got it working finally, but I'm getting the same exact message as from NFS:
              "There is no media available for playback."

Now I'm thinking it's a problem with the WDTV box itself, since I'm getting the same message whether
              using NFS or minidlna.

Update: I just finished formatting an external junk drive with NTFS, and copied all videos to it. then took it to the WDTV box and plugged it in.

Same thing is happening" "There is no media available for playback."
              --

Comment

Originally posted by rwbehne1 View Post
                I never heard of minidlna before. I downloaded it, but I don't know how to get it working with my
                WDTV box. I looked through the menus but saw no mention of DLNA or how to use it.

Ok, I got it working finally, but I'm getting the same exact message as from NFS:
                "There is no media available for playback."

Now I'm thinking it's a problem with the WDTV box itself, since I'm getting the same message whether
                using NFS or minidlna.

Update: I just finished formatting an external junk drive with NTFS, and copied all videos to it. then took it to the WDTV box and plugged it in.

Same thing is happening" "There is no media available for playback."
                File permissions, maybe? Your multimedia needs to be readable by the minidlna user.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MiniDLNA

Comment

+1 on minidlna ,,,,,,, I use it feed music to my AVR and music & video to Kodi on this laptop from a desktop I use to drive the TV for amazon,netflix,Hulu,exe,exe,,,,,

you must have the directory paths correct however in the /etc/minidlna.conf as @wizard10000 posted ,,,,your paths will be different of course.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                    X