System Backup Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Backup Options

I'm looking for the "best" software to do a total system backup on my KUbuntu 22.04 LTS system.
    I'm testing Kbackup right now and am facing several hours to do the backup (1TB harddrive backup to 2TB USB flashdrive).
    I may just bite the bullet and let the laptop run overnight.

I do see several files which cannot be backed up, mostly in the /etc folder. Nothing that I could not afford to lose.

What do you recommend? Any caveats to watch for?
    Thanks
    TWP
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

If you want a true 'bare metal' backup, get Clonezilla. It's what I use when I want to backup my entire HDD. It is a true 'bare metal' backup. You boot the Live Clonezilla and perform the backup from it's running environment, so your 'source' drive isn't running your OS when the backup is being made. Clonezilla has been around for a long time, and its reputation is stellar. It just works.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried Rescuezilla, which is supposed to be a fair clone of Clonezilla (pun intended). I had trouble with it not reading all files on my harddrive.

I'll try Clonezilla, the pure version, and see how it works.
      Thanks
      TWP
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        ... am facing several hours to do the backup ,,, to ... USB
        Is that a USB 2 speed? Maybe the laptop has a faster port.

(Sometimes on laptops some ports are USB 2 and some USB 3, I've found it hard to tell which is which.)

I've resorted to using an ethernet connection to another computer and using clonezilla with NFS to backup a laptop with no fast USB.

Regards, John Little

Comment

I use FreeFileSync and am very happy with it.

Comment

jlittle , Yes, I am using a USB 3.0 port. I ran the backup (KBackup) overnight and at ~13.5 hours, it locked up...

WebHeer thanks, I'll try FreeFileSync, it could be a couple of days before I report back on that.

Comment

I'll give a big second to what Snowhog said... Clonezilla!

cheers,
              bill
              sigpic
              A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, I'm running Balena-Etcher to do the "bare metal" backup to a 2TB flash drive. I started the run on Saturday evening and by Monday morning it was 45% complete. I shut down my laptop using the Sleep option, walked to the local library and restarted, without any problems that I can see.

My laptop has approx. 880GB of data and Etcher is running at about 1-3 MB/sec. I'm going to let this process run and see how long it takes. I'll report on the result, which might be in another couple of days.

TWP

Comment

My backup strategy is two fold. For bare metal backup I use Clonezilla. I usually run it once a month or so to image the entire operating system and catch changes. My backup strategy for personal files (~/home/bill, email, docs, .directories, etc.) is rsync. I have a shell script which runs via a cron job that backs up changes there to my main server on a daily basis.

cheers,
                  bill
                  sigpic
                  A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

I tried Clonezilla, but it gave multiple errors. Balena-etcher is running well, so far. I'm at 65% backup but I'm into day four of the process.
                    I'll keep reporting on how things go.
                    TWP

Comment

... I'm into day four of the process...
                      I still think you're getting USB 2 speed. If you are sure both ports are USB 3, maybe the cable is USB 2 or is faulty.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

I tried Clonezilla, but it gave multiple errors.
                        Which, IMO, is indicative of issues with the drive(s) and NOT Clonezilla. Just my

Comment

My laptop specs say I have two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 port. I'll try switching my flash drive to the other 3.0 port and see if there is any difference in speed. No cables involved as I'm connecting direct from the mother board port to the flash drive. More later.

Comment

I'm at 65% backup but I'm into day four of the process.

Comment

(1TB harddrive backup to 2TB USB flashdrive).
                              Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              Which, IMO, is indicative of issues with the drive(s) and NOT Clonezilla. Just my
                              Adding my loose pennies into the pot:

Could we see which USB thumb drive this is?
                              I don't think any reputable brand sells anything over 1Tb, and those are kind of expensive compared to similarly sized external SSDs, if you factor in the superior lifespans and reliability of SSDs, as well as the likely better read/write speeds, even if they are USB 3.x
                              There are a LOT of crap, fake, mislabeled thumb drives out there, in addition to the general low quality ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X