kernal versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernal versions

I have two laptop at home. Each is running kubuntu 20.04. Each has been updated on a regular basis. The laptops are HP's with Intel I5 processors. One has kernal version 5.15.0-41 generic, the other has kernal version 5.4.0-121 generic. Why are the kernal versions different?

The one running 5.15 isn't Kubuntu 20.04. That kernel version runs Kubuntu 22.04.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      The one running 5.15 isn't Kubuntu 20.04. That kernel version runs Kubuntu 22.04.
      No, 20.04 just recently (last week) upgraded to 5.15 from the previous 5.13.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Originally posted by monon View Post
      Why are the kernal versions different?
      It might depend on when the install was done -- if using the original 20.04 iso, 20.04.0 if you will, iirc this still follows the standard of NOT offering kernel HWE upgrades. However, this is not totally clear, as I thought all desktop installs had HWE enabled by default nowadays.
      Newer iso releases come with the HWE kernel upgrades baked in, with the next 'point' release image 20.04.5 (in August) having 5.15.

One thing to check for is that you don't actually have these new kernel versions, but for some reason grub is still using the 5.4 as the default kernel choice.
      Another is to check that you havelinux-generic-hwe-20.04 installed, which is a meta-package that pulls in the newer kernels. Perhaps this is missing for some reason on the 'old' install.

Comment

I will check this stuff out. Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
        X