Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can open source router firmware do secure file transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROUTER] Can open source router firmware do secure file transfer?

Here's what I would like to do:

Use my home wifi router with a USB drive plugged into it as a remote file back up for images, text files, etc. Not to be used as system backup. I would like to be able to securely send and retrieve these files remotely so I can access them when I'm not at home.

I have a Linksys home wifi router that has the ability to operate a USB flash drive via FTP over the internet for file transfer. It sends all data in the clear so passwords and data are visible to any kiddy hacker who wants to pry or cause mayhem. I am NOT going to use it for that reason.

However, I see that my router is supported by DD-WRT which uses Pro-FTPD. Which allegedly is kinda secure, which for my purposes may be good enough.

So my question is for anyone who has done this sort of thing,

Does DD-WRT, Open-WRT, or Gargoyle have the ability to perform secure file transfers as I described up top?

This page shows screenshots of dd-wrt configurations and explains how to connect up a proper NAS system. ( I know zip zilch and nil about NAS)
    https://proprivacy.com/router/guides...er-nas-storage

Any features found in any of the open source router firmware replacements will very much depend on the specific router/hardware. There will be limitations on not only the max size of the firmware and ram, but also the physical capabilities of the processor. It *probably* does, but you will need to investigate each project for documentation, installation instruction, and user experiences for your specific router.

Comment

DDWRT is the only open source router firmware replacement I personally have experience with and as claydoh said, it works on a limited number of routers. Have you checked the DDWRT database to make sure your router is supported? I have used it on an old buffalo router in the past, but can't say if yours will work. It does not support all routers, FYI. If Pro-FTPD does not meet your needs you surely can set up a server of some sort on your machine with a firewall setup to prevent unwanted intrusions to access files from the outside. If you know anything about docker, you could probably set up a container to do just that using the USB stick as a drive if it is properly mounted at home.

Comment

And to clarify my previous comment, the actual features available via DD-WRT and the others are going to depend on the specific hardware. Not all features are gong to be available on all routers, so more investigation will be needed, for sure.
        I have not used DD-WRT or OpenWRT in quite some time now, as my recent routers have not been supported by them, or didn't offer anything useful, or were just as outdated as the OEM firmware.

if your router provides a VPN server, you might be able to use that to connect to your home network much more securely, and probably access the drive or shares that way, as another rabbit hole option to consider.

Comment

My question was not "does my router support" but rather "does open source firmware support" secure file transfer over the internet. If the firmware supports it, then I can check on whether my specific router can handle a specific protocol. But as it is I do not understand enough about file transfer protocols to determine whether a given protocol is actually secure.

Comment

I have no experience with Open-WRT.

I used DD-WRT by installing it on a CISCO Linksys router. IIRC, it was a Linksys E2000, but it could have been the E2500. I can't remember which.
            https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000

I also purchased, and still have, a Buffalo 600N wifi router with DD-WRT preinstalled. That's why I bought it. I didn't want to go through the trouble of burning DD-WRT onto the EPROM again. Both worked flawless for me. DD-WRT also includes a firewall, if you want to use it. I did.

But, as usual, wifi's and routers are alway a target for attack. This is the most recent example:
            https://arstechnica.com/information-...cated-malware/
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X