This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugable USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter USB3-E1000

I listed that adapter in the subject line to make it easy to identify.

As many of you may know, last Saturday I reported that a lightening strike took out my Eth0 port.

I looked around and on Amazon found an Ethternet to USB3.0 adapter for $11 + shipping. Its make and model is given in the subject line, and here:
    Plugable USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter USB3-E1000
    from Amazon. It is also USB 2.0 compliant but at that speed it only gives 10/100 Mpbs.

It comes with a minature CD that contains Windows drivers but it is unnecessary because since the Linux 3.9+ kernel they contain a driver for it. All I had to do was plug it in and a wired connected was immediately created and connected. Just in time for my fiber optic connection! Full specs are here.

So, if you need a wired connection to replace a defective Eth0 port, or add such a port, this Plugable is the way to go!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 19, 2017, 03:05 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Very handy device. My brother's Acer laptop doesn't have an ethernet port at all so this device would certainly be useful in his case.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
    X