This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools and processes to free hard disk space under Ubuntu

Disclaimer: You should exercise due caution when using any tool which removes files from your system. Some of these suggestions are "safe"... Others may do more than you intend, so do your own due diligence.

https://itsfoss.com/free-up-space-ub...Source+Blog%29

The author warns:

While I have mentioned several ways here, if you are a beginner, avoid the ones marked as ‘expert’. Not that you cannot use them, but it’s better to avoid if you don’t know what you are doing.
    So, you broke your system when you tried some the of steps in the linked article... Got Backup Hindsight is 20/20 after all.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20 after all.
    Hindsight isn't 'Plumers Butt'? Sorry. I couldn't resist!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

With Btrfs you create a ro snapshot of @ and @home, which takes all of a minute, and then blaze away at your files. IF you go too far and destroy too many then move @ to @_bad and @home to @home_bad and make a rw copy of the ro snapshots made and move them to @ and @home. Reboot.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Hindsight isn't 'Plumers Butt'? Sorry. I couldn't resist!
        Yes, that's what you get when you spend too many hours sitting at the computer, removing the sewage blocking the data flow in your pipe buffers.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

You can always pour RasinBran on your computer!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            You can always pour RasinBran on your computer!
            Do you recommend the sugar coated or plain RasinBran? Whole milk or low fat? Fiber is good for your pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
              Do you recommend the sugar coated or plain RasinBran? Whole milk or low fat? Fiber is good for your pipes.
              Plain, of course! The sugar will put sludge in your pipes! And, for older computers, I recommend Lactose Free 2% milk!

Comment

I always suspected you were a "purist" at heart. My computer gets gas with whole milk too. Don't want to go there...

I so like the ability to hijack my own thread

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X