Where can I get help with 16.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I get help with 16.04?

It's been years since I've been on the Kubuntu forums, and they're totally different! I use an old finance program that I have been unable to run on anything later than 16.04 (some kind of library change, as I recall), but that was fine until this morning when a backup partition on a 1T HDD, using reiserfs format, couldn't be written to. After a reboot, now I can't even see it. (An ext4 backup partition on the same hard disk is fine.) No loss of finance data --- it's also on the SSD that houses /home, and on the ext4. But there are other things on that reiserfs I'd like to be able to get at.

This is, no doubt, not the right place to ask about this, so let's just make my question: Where should I go to ask about this?

---Werdigo49

Well, I just read https://phoenixnap.com/kb/ubuntu-16-04-end-of-life so I guess it is unreasonable to ask what I asked. Sorry...
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by werdigo49; Mar 10, 2022, 02:56 PM. Reason: Read the "prepare for the end of 16.04" article
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Only thing we could look for would be alternative finance applications that are currently actively developed. Which one are you using in 16.04?

16.04 went EOL three years ago, unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks, claydoh... I remember your valuable contributions from years ago when I was more active here. The days when 16.04 was the latest thing!

I'm using Quicken 2001 Deluxe, with a ca. 2015 version of CrossOver Office that allows me to run it on Linux. (I tried Wine without the commercial help, and wasn't successful.) Concerned about its future viability, I also installed MoneyDance and have been keeping them up to date, in parallel, just in case... but I really prefer the Quicken.

Converting Quicken data this old to a current version of Quicken is a multi-step process (Q2001 to Q2008 or something, then Q2008 to something newer, etc.) with each step error-prone, and a few years ago Quicken switched to an annual subscription format I'm not interested in. So I feel that if I want to stick with Quicken, I'm stuck with my old 2001 Deluxe.

I tried Kubuntu 18 and 20, and couldn't get my old CrossOver Office to run because of some missing library. (After a Google search showed others needed that library and offered a way to install it, I tried that, but XO Office didn't see it.) So I tried (30-day free trial) a current version of CrossOver Office with the later Kubuntus; it ran but wouldn't get my old Quicken going.

I guess that's about the end of the story. I do have a couple of old laptops with 16.04 and Q2001 on them, and accidentally and by surprise discovered recently that Q2001D installed and ran perfectly on a new Windows 10 laptop. Of course MoneyDance does too.)

In the meantime, the Ext4 partition on that backup hard disk is working fine, and I can still read and copy FROM the Reiserfs partition.

This post is really just FYI, if you're curious how I got into this mess! It's not fair of me to expect (and I don't) current forum participants to be interested in something this old and idiosyncratic... so thanks!
      -- Werdigo49

Comment

Kmymoney supports quicken files, iirc, and Skrooge might as well. Might not have to deal with the major conversions.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...r/quicken-2001 ---> Someone is using Crossover with q2001 successfully this month.
        The link also points to install instructions (generic) .. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...d_install_file

But, yeah, you will probably have to go through a mess, and it may not be worth it, or buck down an pay the ~30 bucks a year, at least temporarily to convert.

Comment

Here are some Linux alternatives to Quicken https://alternativeto.net/software/q...platform=linux Otherwise what I do is have a laptop that runs Win10 only, which came in handy for doing my taxes. It's now back on the shelf for another year.

Comment

I stopped using Quicken not long after I was using Kubuntu as my daily OS. I had two laptops at that time (about 15-years ago); one with Windows and the other Kubuntu. I kept Windows on that other laptop for the sole purpose of running Quicken. At that time I wasn't yet aware of KMymoney. Once I installed it and started using it, I no longer had a need for Windows, and it's been Kubuntu ever since.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I used MoneyDance for a long time, then switched to KMyMoney. I used it for a long time as well, because I did all my financial transactions using checks. However, when I got my first cell phone and started doing everything digitally, instead of writing checks, I no longer had a need for KMyMoney.

I loved the ReiserFS but stopped using it when his wife reached EOL.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 17, 2022, 07:15 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                I about laughed my soda out my nose!!!! A Linux user insider joke if ever I saw one!

Comment

Why is there no like button? We need it.

Comment

• GreyGeek
                    GreyGeek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't you have a like button to the right of the "Flag" icon? If not, it is probably because you haven't reached a certain number of posts.

Just a quick thank you to the group who have offered comments here! I'll be investigating everything.
                  -- Werdigo49

Comment

Thanks, GreyGeek. Apparently, I'm missing the flag icon, too. :-)

Comment

• GreyGeek
                      GreyGeek commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Probably the "Comment" button as well?

@GreyGreek That, too. All will be revealed after a threshold, I hope. I can attach pictures, though:
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Probably the "Comment" button as well?
                      I think the like button is for sooper- ee-733t- forum members, who have given the proper sacrificial offerings and flagellations to the Lord God Torvalds

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        I think the like button is for sooper- ee-733t- forum members, who have given the proper sacrificial offerings and flagellations to the Lord God Torvalds

Not quite. But it (the Like button) is currently restricted to only a few Usergroups. While it's called 'Like', and implies that clicking it means you 'like' the post, it is actually part of the Member Reputation (of the member making the post) feature in vBulletin. Almost any 'member ranking' system in forums that use one, tend to get out of hand. Nature of the Beast.

Allowing more Usergroups access to this will be considered, but only if the majority of Administrators agree; 3 out of 4.

Comment

I don't care, mostly. I am for it, if a 'like' or a 'Thanks" is for the post or comment, and unrelated to user reputation (keep that crap hidden!), as a form of agreement or acknowledgement that something works, etc, without needing a comment or reply.
                          I am in a number of forums, one for small gas scooters almost as old as KFN and arguably more active at times, that use likes for this purpose with no issue,. and is quite helpful.

Maybe also get rid of the reputation meter bars under our user names?

Comment

Working...
                          X