This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating an IPv6 tunnel to replace SIXXS

For the last ten years I have been using an SIXXS IPv4-IPv6 tunnel. It was easily installed because of its package in the repository. On the IPv6-test.com website I got a 20/20 for SIXXS. But, alas, SIXXS is shutting down on June 6th so I cast about for another tunneling service.

A year ago I tried Hurrican's (http://he.net) tunnel but was unsuccessful in getting it up. Since then they've changed their format and now offer two kinds of Linux scripts to get a tunnel up for Linux users: Linux-route2 and Linux-net-tools. Strangely, since IPv6 is built in, route2 fails! The Linux-net-tools method works well. The IPv6-test.com website gives me an 18/20, claiming that I need a DNS6 service, even though HE supplies a DNS6 service with their tunnel.

The script HE creates for you will contain your IPv6 address. It looks like this (but I've blanked out my IPv6 tunnel address and IPv6 address.)
    Code:
    ifconfig sit0 up
    ifconfig sit0 inet6 tunnel ::*.*.*:*
    ifconfig sit1 up
    ifconfig sit1 inet6 add 2001:*:*:*:*
    route -A inet6 add ::/0 dev sit1
    Place those lines in /etc/rc.local just before the line containing "exit 0".

The repository offers Miredo, a Teredo IPv6 tunnel through NAT's, and it configures automtically and works Ok, giving about 14 or 15 out of 20. It is, IMO, not as fast as the HE tunnel, which is not as fast as SIXXS was. HE will have to do until Spectrum joins the 21st century.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 11, 2017, 06:30 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X