Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't delete directory -- no files present, including hidden files?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't delete directory -- no files present, including hidden files?

Hi -- I'm trying to remove a big directory tree (an unused windows GIMP copy):

Code:
    $ rm -rf path/to/gimp-win-2.9.5-partha-portable
    ...removed every single file and directory except it leaves one empty directory behind:

Code:
    rm: cannot remove 'path/to/gimp-win-2.9.5-partha-portable/Gimp-2.9.5-std/gimp/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins': Directory not empty
    ...but the directory does appear to be empty, and no open files are in play:

Code:
    $ cd path/to/gimp-win-2.9.5-partha-portable/Gimp-2.9.5-std/gimp/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins
    $ ls -la
    total 64K                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    drwxrwx--- 1 root plugdev 64K Mar  4 13:11 .                                                                                                                                                                     
    drwxrwx--- 1 root plugdev   0 Mar  4 13:11 ..
    $ cd ..
    $ lsof | grep gimp | grep plug
    $
    The disk this directory is on NTFS and is mounted pretty typically:

Code:
    /dev/sdb5 on /mydisk type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    ...is this an NTFS bug of some kind or am I missing something?

Thanks for any ideas!
    -c

That is usually the case if somehow the immutable bit was set.
    IF it has the immutable bit is set, then as root issue:
    chattr -i /path/to/file or /path/to/dir

then delete "it" with the usual command.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks -- no luck:
      Code:
      # lsattr plug-ins
      # chattr -i plug-ins
      chattr: Invalid argument while reading flags on plug-ins
      I'm wondering if one of the comments here has something to do with it: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...not-responding

"Linux only supports the outdated POSIX ACL proposal that was withdrawn in 1997. NTFS however implements modern ACLs with many more features. It thus may be that you just have ACLs on that files that are not understood by Linux as they cannot be converted into the outdated ACL proposal. Can you remove the files on Win-DOS?"

...I'll try removing it from my windows boot...

Comment

Working...
      X