This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fillable PDF Form

I have used Writer to create my first fillable PDF form, but a problem has arisen. I want a field to be a dollar amount and formatted a certain way. I created the field by selecting the control with the $-sign icon (a “formatted field”). I created the field, and I formatted it as I wanted it formatted (thousands separator, 0 decimal places). Everything works fine within Writer. But once I export it as a PDF file (with the “Create PDF Form” box checked), the formatting disappears. I open the PDF (in Okular), select the View menu’s “Show Forms” option, enter data into the field, and no formatting occurs.

Example: In Writer, I enter 40000000 into the field. As soon as I leave that field, the number 40000000 is converted into $40,000,000, which is what I told Writer to do. But in the fillable PDF form, that formatting doesn’t work. I leave the field, and the 40000000 remains 40000000. Perhaps one of you fellows who knows more about using Writer to create fillable PDF forms can suggest a solution.

The site <https://www2.ed.gov/fund/grant/apply/pdfformtips.html> has “Tips for Using PDF Forms.” For Amount fields, it says, “… do not use commas or dollar signs when entering an amount. […] On leaving an amount field, the PDF form will add the commas to display the amount.”

So the program handling the PDF file will add the formatting. It appears to me that in creating the fillable PDF form, Writer should add to that file whatever formatting instructions I specified when I created that amount field. Those instructions then should be applied when the person to whom I send the PDF file leaves an amount field after having entered a dollar amount into the field. At least that’s what my common sense tells me. If I’m off track, will someone please tell me?
    Last edited by wtb32141; Mar 05, 2017, 06:27 AM.

You may get an answer here, but you may also wish to ask the Libre Office community as well, since your question seems pretty specific that that application, unless I missed something.
    https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/questions/
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I agree with you, and I tried to find a Libre Office Writer forum like this one, but I found nothing. From what I could tell, they offer help, but mostly in the form of manuals, etc. They also have an email exchange. If you can direct me to a forum like this one that specializes in Writer, I would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
        I agree with you, and I tried to find a Libre Office Writer forum like this one, but I found nothing. From what I could tell, they offer help, but mostly in the form of manuals, etc. They also have an email exchange. If you can direct me to a forum like this one that specializes in Writer, I would appreciate it.
        https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/community-support/

The IRC might be your best bet.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X