This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logwatch

I just discovered logwatch, a logfile analyser for Linux, and thought I'd share it here in case it could be useful to other server owners.

It's a really neat way to review your log files without trawling through the whole thing yourself - mine is set up to email me daily with a summary of what happened yesterday.

It comes with a bunch of pre-configured logfile and service configuration files, which tell it where to look for logs and how to parse them. My email today contained a summary in the following categories:
    • Dovecot
    • dpkg
    • fail2ban
    • httpd (apache)
    • pam_unix
    • postfix
    • SSHD
    • sudo
    • vsftpd
    • disk space

...and you can choose the level of detail you want to see for each. I still look at the log files occasionally, but now I use the summary to decide whether there's something worth looking at.
    samhobbs.co.uk

This saved my bacon already! Yesterday, I converted a load of Drupal nodes from "basic page" to "article" type, and it messed up the human readable URL aliases. Today I noticed because I had a load of 404 errors reported for pages I knew were supposed to exist. Not sure how long it would have taken me to notice if I hadn't had the logwatch report!
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X