This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

invalid iso downloads

I was trying to compare some features of other versions by using a live usb. (mostly mint, fedora and open suse with kde, gnome or xcfe.) I have downloaded several of the latest versions and when I try to select the iso, it tells me it is not a valid iso file.? I even tried downloading the latest version of dvd-usb-iso of open suse, with windows 8.1. As soon as I selected it, the burner told me it was invalid? I dont know alot about linux but I have been using it long time and I havent ever had a problem down loading an iso file, and overall very little trouble burning one. I have no clue what i am doing wrong? I tried to extract the files but that just gave me a bunch of files, none of which was a valid iso image? I dont think its a burner issue I have tried several different ones. Do I have to save the file as something else or change something?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Which tool are you using to create the bootable usb stick? Have you tried others?

Have you checked the md5sums of the images? How are you downloading them, and from where?

Comment

I have tried : ubuntu start up disk creator, A usb icon thats named "start up disk creator" that is not ukopp, Unetbooten, Ukopp, and I dont remember which one I used on windows. I am downloading from the website by clicking on the download button. The mbytes of the file match. I havent checked md5sums, I thought you did that after you burn it? This error occurs as soon as I select the downloaded iso with burner.
      Thank You

Comment

Depending on what you use to download the iso with (bittorrent, a file manager, ftp) the file could be corrupt. You check the md5sum of the download, to make sure it matches that of the original, before burning.

Ubuntu's usb tool will only work on Ubuntu-based distros, but unetbootin should work on most all of them. If none of the isos work on any of the programs, the first place too look is what you are downloading them with - perhaps the browser is not saving the file with the correct extension -.iso? or is for some reason corrupting them. Are you downloading from each distro's home page?

You have not specified which browser or which OS you are downloading from. maybe try using each disto's bittorrent links instead of direct downloading, bittorrent clients usually verify what they download and are usually more reliable in this regard.

Comment

In addition to what what claydoh is advising, let me interject this. If you are in Linux, and if you are comfortable using the command line, with the powerful and unforgiving dd command, at least for, I believe, the (K)Ubuntus (e.g., Mint), this should always work to make your live, bootable USB flash drive:

sudo dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sdX bs=16M

where /dev/sdX is your flash drive as seen from the Linux OS you are doing this from.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...aller-using-dd

(Checking MD5sums or Shasums is important, of course, before burning or writing the iso to media.)

(About Unetbootin: I have heard it doesn't make a valid UEFI bootable device; it seems people are reporting issues with it.)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Btw, there is also a dd command version for Windows. SteveRiley has posted it here, I think there are two possibilities, and we could dig them up if you wish, or a google would probably lead to them.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              the powerful and unforgiving dd command, at least for, I believe, the (K)Ubuntus (e.g., Mint), this should always work to make your live, bootable USB flash drive.... (About Unetbootin: I have heard it doesn't make a valid UEFI bootable device; it seems people are reporting issues with it.)
              Yes, dd is the correct tool to use now. Unetbootin and the other "creators" have various problems, mostly related to incorrectly configuring for UEFI boot.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              Btw, there is also a dd command version for Windows. SteveRiley has posted it here, I think there are two possibilities, and we could dig them up if you wish, or a google would probably lead to them.
              Win32Diskimager works, but only for ISOs that are created with Syslinux isohybrid mode. Fortunately, the majority of distros are doing this now.

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I think the problem is with distribution download and trying to burn a usb. I downloaded them with firefox on kubuntu and chrome on windows. Tonight I tried K3B disk burner, and burned the suse distro I that I was trying, and it burned and booted flawlessly to a dvd. I dont know if it makes any difference but it was not a live version, it was only to install. Win32diskimager looks familiar. I think thats one I tried on Windows. Im not sure I want to play with dd. I have really burned myself several times writing to the wrong drive. I usually notice Im on the wrong drive, right after its too late to stop....

Comment

I forgot to mention I got unetbootin to write to the usb without any problems, but it didnt boot. Thats probably a uefi problem. I have to shut off uefi in bios to boot to my old mint hard drive. That problem started with and is caused by Windows 8.1 For the record I do not like anything in 8.1 My Wife likes it, or that would go away.

Comment

You might consider giving in and starting to use the new UEFI firmware (instead of the older BIOS+MBR),
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post373198
                    In many ways, it's easier, cleaner than the old way.
                    And get a boot manager called rEFInd, it will make all your dual-booting a piece of cake--it is heavily referenced in that link.

You probably heard that Windows 10 debut will be July 29th, and for one year you will qualify for a free full upgrade from 8.1 to 10?
                    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-re...of-windows-10/
                    http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-yo...tag=YHFb1d24ec
                    If you are keeping Windows, this is something you will want to do. (I've also got one 8.1 in the house on a laptop for the spousal unit.)

Comment

Working...
                    X