This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

local wiki solution that is 'publishable'

What wiki would you recommend for running locally?

Currently I have the option to automatically have it (sort of automatically have it) uploaded to a Git repository (happens to be GitHub ). GitHub supports a MediaWiki syntax, but I don't much like that. It is a weird syntax.

I have experimented before with DokuWiki but it was rather slow (I was in the process of modifying it to have faster load times and was rather successful but not yet enough and it ended in an unworkable solution, may need to get on with that in a few months (to fix it again). But no time yet I guess. Also, this wiki (these wikis) usually have very poor graphics/layout/design. The DokuWiki theme by default is rather ugly:

https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki#

But the MoinMoin that was referenced here:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...hon-FDKeditor)

Has a bit of the same problem. It uses MediaWiki-like syntax as well.

Most of them use a hideous light blue background by default. I don't know why. They just do it. I just installed (from "apt list *wiki*") a thing called DidiWiki. You install it, it runs at localhost:8000, you can open it, immediately can start editing, etc. But also: by default there is no navigation pane, the style is pretty poor, by default no pretty environment, or a cozy environment to feel at home in and to pleasurably work in.

(The borders (blue) are KDE's glow (Plasma4). KSnapshot doesn't work with it when you turn "window decoration" off).

Actually DidiWiki instantly looks better and I guess it could be right for me. But it doesn't show existing files (links) in a different colour. It puts your files in /var/lib/didiwiki/ but there is clearly no support for even a navigation frame/index/div/thing.
    Last edited by xennex81; Mar 22, 2015, 06:45 PM.

Git has a media-wiki plugin that allows you to preview mediawiki files. Unfortunately the preview doesn't work without a "remote mediawiki" and the help for it is pretty bare or even nonexistent. I guess it allows you to specify a "remote.origin.url" that is a mediawiki url, but I don't know.

Lol my filesystem is full almost. I will need to remove the swap space, resize / grow the root volume, and make the swap a little smaller . Wow, that took no longer than 5 minutes (to get it done) and the resize itself took like 5 seconds (including filesystem on-line). Suddenly I have 2GB extra available . 5 minutes later and my swap is back and recreated at 2GB less. I can easily put it at the back of the VG as well. If I need 2GB extra. Could do it straight away.... anyway. Putting at the end of a data volume... The only thing I hate so much is trying to umount when all that obviously usually is in the way, is that certain programs were started with a working directory of what you are trying to umount, but they are not actually using any files from there. This is usually shells but you can also start a program like Firefox from a current directory and it will be in the way when you try to umount, having to close the program, etc. And.... ready . 4GB extra available on root volume .

LibreOffice has an extention to "create/edit/publish" MediaWiki articles.

I am live resizing a physical volume that contains a volume group that contains my logical volumes.

Resized it to an exact number of physical extents which allows 4GB (1024 extents times 4MB) of space to create a new LV if needed, or to grow an existing one, or to move the swap to the end again. I deleted the existing volume for another distribution prior to that.

Now the encrypted container header data for the size is matched in size, hopefully. Now the logical partition has been shrunk (MBR table) and the new logical partition added. PV created for logical partition, new VG inside PV, LVs inside VG. It is all easy enough now, I got this part covered. Not sure if this was useful though. Now I have 2 encrypted LUKS containers and if anyone were to force me to give up my passwords, I could not deny it given my current life situation. Perhaps I should just move it back, that will be easier than shrinking the partitions .

Anyway, back to the WIKI.
    Last edited by xennex81; Mar 23, 2015, 01:58 PM.

Comment

It is probably not very hard to just install the default that is MediaWiki and just work with that as it is most readily supported. To put it online I could just use GitHub to publish it. I need to reorganize my github (git) repositories though, on my local disk.

DokuWiki is something I like working on. The codebase is rather odd but it is easy to 'hack'. I have it now installed and the problem with these wikis is just that there are no good user interface themes for them. They are often HIDEOUS and you want a good cozy environment. I cannot do these things though; develop graphical (colour) themes.

Comment

Working...
      X