This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ccleaner for linux. Useful?

I'm wondering if something similar to ccleaner would be useful on a Linux machine with plenty of space.
    Deleting the cache for Firefox will not increase speed, and in some case, may actually slow it down a bit by removing cached graphics for frequently visited sites. For this reason, I do not clean the browser cache on my windows machine. I actually keep the caches in both windows and kubuntu on a ramdrive. The ramdrive is copied to the hard drive hourly, so it persists across reboots. It may help to clean some other temp files however.

So, I'm putting the question up for opinion vote.

bleachbit and purging your old kernels ,,,keep 2 the newest and last one before.

Code:
    Package: bleachbit
    Priority: optional
    Section: universe/admin
    Installed-Size: 1,950 kB
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>
    Version: 1.0-1
    Depends: python:any (>= 2.7.1-0ubuntu2), python (>= 2.6) | python-simplejson, python-gtk2 (>= 2.14), menu
    Recommends: python-notify
    Download-Size: 251 kB
    Homepage: http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Origin: Ubuntu
    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
    Description: delete unnecessary files from the system
     BleachBit deletes unnecessary files to free valuable disk space, maintain
     privacy, and remove junk. It removes cache, Internet history, temporary files,
     cookies, and broken shortcuts.
     It handles cleaning of Adobe Reader, Bash, Beagle, Epiphany, Firefox, Flash,
     GIMP, Google Earth, Java, KDE, OpenOffice.org, Opera, RealPlayer, rpmbuild,
     Second Life Viewer, VIM, XChat, and more.
     Beyond simply erasing junk files, BleachBit wipes free disk space (to hide
     previously deleted files for privacy and to improve compression of images),
     vacuums Firefox databases (to improve performance without deleting data), and
     securely shreds arbitrary files.
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

verrrrryyyyyyy interesting!

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I'm with Vinny on this,

bleachbit and purging your old kernels ,,,keep 2 the newest and last one before.
        You can pick and choose what Bleachbit cleans.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
          I'm wondering if something similar to ccleaner would be useful on a Linux machine with plenty of space.
          Deleting the cache for Firefox will not increase speed, and in some case, may actually slow it down a bit by removing cached graphics for frequently visited sites. For this reason, I do not clean the browser cache on my windows machine. I actually keep the caches in both windows and kubuntu on a ramdrive. The ramdrive is copied to the hard drive hourly, so it persists across reboots. It may help to clean some other temp files however.

So, I'm putting the question up for opinion vote.
          Windows software is never useful on Linux.

Comment

Checked out bleachbit. Haven't done anything with it yet.

Windows software itself is not useful on linux, but some of the ideas are good. Games that work on wine might be the exception for a little time wasting distraction.

Comment

I haven't found a need for any of those kinds of utilities. Usually the big problem is firefox history and cache, which I handle through FF, careful not to erase my login accounts and password because I no longer remember any of them. Telling bleachbit what not to delete/scrub is more of a pain them doing it myself. What's really nice is when I decided to clean house I create a pre-snapshot (I use btrfs) and after I am done I create a post snapshot. IF, after a while everything still works OK I delete the pre snapshot. If not, I roll back to it and recover what I had before the disaster.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Watchout what you delete with bleachbit.
                if you select delete all zero size files, you can get yourselves into a lot of trouble, some zero lenght files are used to signal things to other processes.
                And there are some other settings that can ruin your system.

Apart from that, I totally agree with Greygeek, there is not really a need for such tools in linux.
                This is a typical windows kind of thing, there you really need to clean up regularly to keep it going at a normal speed.

If you have plenty of space, don't bother, if your disk space starts to run low, then start looking for things you don't need anymore.
                Filelight or something similar can give you more insight on what is taking up a lot of space.
                Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
                linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
                A good place to start:
                Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I haven't found a need for any of those kinds of utilities. Usually the big problem is firefox history and cache, which I handle through FF, careful not to erase my login accounts and password because I no longer remember any of them. Telling bleachbit what not to delete/scrub is more of a pain them doing it myself. What's really nice is when I decided to clean house I create a pre-snapshot (I use btrfs) and after I am done I create a post snapshot. IF, after a while everything still works OK I delete the pre snapshot. If not, I roll back to it and recover what I had before the disaster.
                  I use lastpass addon to remember passwords. especially across computers or OS in a dual boot. Just have to remember the master password. Got tired of copying URLs so I went with xmarks. I actually keep the firefox cache on a 2Gb ramdrive that copies to HDD hourly. It does speed browsing some. Starting to matter less since brighthouse just upgraded our speed to 150Mbps.

Internet and computer speed - good.
                  Speeding on the road - bad

Comment

Does a program exist for linux similiar to windirstat? Nice graphical depiction of used drive space and what files are taking the most room

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
                      Does a program exist for linux similiar to windirstat? Nice graphical depiction of used drive space and what files are taking the most room
                      The first hit on google for windirstat has this as its second line:
                      Note: if you are looking for an alternative for Linux, you are looking for KDirStat (apt-get install kdirstat)
                      Though I think filelight shows usage more graphically, if that's what you're after.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

WinDirStat is a clone of Kdirstat, now called K4DirStat. Baobob is another.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Kubuntu Forums - How to's

Thread: FAQ: Free Disk Space

+ more

Comment

Both do the job. Filelight is a bit flashier, but ok nonetheless

Comment

Since I use btrfs I tried them both. Filelight just shows what it thinks is the total available disk space and gives one semi-circular blob representing 9% of the total space. Totally useless.

K4DirStat works as advertized. I don't see a practical use for either one, since I can sort on the size column in Dolphin and I don't need a graph to compare file sizes.

Comment

Working...
                              X