Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Kubuntu from a USB disk, persistant, is it possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Kubuntu from a USB disk, persistant, is it possible?

hi,

Is it possible to do a proper full install onto a USB disk and to run it same was as one would a hard disk?

There is tons of info on this and it all seems to be slightly to moderatly different, most of it refers to live images off USB.
    I had a go with a knoppix 4 gig iso (full monty), installed it onto a 32gb USB key, but its kinda unusual; / fs is fat32 and /KNOPPIX-DATA is reiserfs, the DATA section is the persistant partition the system is running as a live image sort of a thing.
    it does work, and is more than fast enough, yet im still wondering if its possible to do a proper install on an ext4 formatted/paritioned usb of a running distro, not just a live image.

im trying to build a USB full distro with a virus scanner and full metal jacket of tools (pinch some from Kali too) , if that fails i'll fall back on external usb drive..
    has anyone experience in this?
    K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Try it! I didn't give this much thought until reading the post here. I'd say, Yes, it is possible. In fact, I'm sure I've done it many times. Using Ext3 or 4, say. It should be "persistent" because it is not a Live USB but rather a regular HD install with your /home, partitions, and so on, as usual. You could use MBR or GPT (setting this using, say, Gparted Live CD or gparted installed on your regular Kubuntu). And either Grub legacy or GRUB 2.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Earlier...

Ubuntu installation guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
      --> LiveUsbPendrivePersistent: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
      Introduction

It is possible to have Ubuntu or Kubuntu on a USB drive (AKA USB Stick or Thumb drive or Flash drive) or USB hard disk drive with persistent mode...

Kubuntu Forums - Minimal Bootable USB stick: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...able-USB-stick
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

HI
        I've done usb versions of several Distros, and Kubuntu runs fine, I, personally, would get a relatively large usb just to have some loose space,and it is "quick" in operation and also in boot-up.

I've actually considered purchasing a machine with SSD just for grins and giggles.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

you can use the "startup disk creator" to make a live-USB with persistence , with the "startup disk creator" the USB stick must be FAT32 formated ,,,,,,,or do a "real" install to the USB stick in the usual way .

I have one Sandisk that has that U3 system on it (a virtual CD drive) that I used u3-tool (in the repo) to expand the size of the virtual cd drive and load a live CD/DVD .img to (Hiren's boot cd)+ a live system on the regular USB part with persistence.

when booting with it in and selecting the boot/to screen it shows as 2 separate drives

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            HI
            I've done usb versions of several Distros, and Kubuntu runs fine, I, personally, would get a relatively large usb just to have some loose space,and it is "quick" in operation and also in boot-up.

I've actually considered purchasing a machine with SSD just for grins and giggles.

woodsmoke
            you have? and it works? awesome!

i got a 32gig usb3 yesterday just for the purpose but havent really had time, apart from a quick knoppix dump/install..

it's year 2014 after all and how can you survive without a full blown distro anywhere you go on your keyring?

what do you mean considering purchasing a machine wtih ssd?
            just get a ssd and stick it in whatever you have, its the best upgrade you can do at the moment imho

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
              Ubuntu installation guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
              --> LiveUsbPendrivePersistent: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Kubuntu Forums - Minimal Bootable USB stick: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...able-USB-stick

thanks.. i know there's a ton of links,

but its 99% live usb distro, im interested in building a full system that preserves everything,

Comment

with a built in SSD sorry

good luck, lotsa fun!

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

IT WORKS!
                  installed puppy linux 5.7 on a 32 gig usb 3 drive, full install.
                  it's pretty awesome, the only ironic thing is my pc wont boot from a usb3 socket

puppy linux iso 170mb - it is pretty awsome for it's size, not exactly what i expected but for such a small and fast install it exceeded my expectations

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-06_231534.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	642374

sorry, had to do a screenie

Comment

USB 3.0 is really good for these types of installs, even with a fully loaded Kubuntu.

The nicest I have is a credit card sized 64GB Verbatim external SSD, you hardly know the difference with a native install.

Comment

Bravo millusions! lotsa fun!

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                      X