Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get Pipelight to current Flash version?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to get Pipelight to current Flash version?

I installed Kubuntu 14.04 (64-bit) specifically in order to be able to use Pipelight -- not immediately interested in Silverlight, Hulu, Netflix, etc.; just to be able to use a current Flash Player for online games (Pogo, Yahoo Games, etc.) in the same browser that supports a current Java. Installing Pipelight in Kubuntu was a snap once I got Kubuntu itself running, and Firefox (64-bit Linux, as installed with Kubuntu) is now reporting Flash 13.0.0.125 at the link from flashtester.org. Problem is, just a week or two ago, Flash updated to 14.0.0.something, and that may be related to the still-incorrect rendering of Flash games at Pogo (I'm not sure if this is the cause, but the game window keeps blacking out after it renders, then redrawing; this appears to prevent the actual game from starting). Is there a way to update the Flash version Pipelight uses, or do I just have to wait for the Pipelight package(s) to update their hard-coded version? Or should I ask somewhere else (I know, this isn't a Pipelight forum, but I didn't find one when searching for information on installing the plugin)?

As far as I know the latest flash plugin for Firefox on Linux is 11.2.202.394. That's what Firefox says in it's plugin panel, flashtester.org and https://www.mozilla.org/nl/plugincheck/
    Adobe doesn't update flash for Linux anymore, only security fixes for the coming about four years.
    As far as I know the only way to run a recent Flash on Linux is by installing Google Chrome. Chrome has a built-in flash player that's up to date.
    I have no idea what Pipelight is, so if there's a built-in Flash in Pipelight, maybe somebody else can answer that part.

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
      As far as I know the latest flash plugin for Firefox on Linux is 11.2.202.394.
      Pipelight originated as a way to run Microsoft's Silverlight (which has never been available for Linux) on a Linux browser. It quickly expanded to cover a broad range of Windows-only or (like Flash) Linux-abandoned plugins. At present, it's letting me use Flash (for Windows non-IE) 13.0.0.215 (I mistyped above), but the current Flash version (for Windows) is 14.0.0.145.

Comment

http://pipelight.net/cms/install/ins...on-ubuntu.html

http://pipelight.net/cms/installation.html#section_2

Comment

I think I see the problem; I need to active the 32-bit nVidia driver in Kubuntu (supposed to have been installed along with the 64-bit, since I installed the driver from the Driver Management notifier just after first boot). The instructions for activating the 32-bit driver are a little unclear, though:

2.1.2. Ubuntu

The Ubuntu package for the proprietary driver also installs the 32 bit libraries by default, simply make sure that you have enabled the driver in the "Additional drivers" dialog under settings.
          Which settings? I don't see "Additional drivers" in Driver Management, in the nVidia Control Panel, or under Display and Monitor in System Settings.

Comment

Don't know. It sounds as though this below but that is how you get to it in 14.04. Hope someone can confirm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_021.png
Views:	1
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	642351

Comment

That's Driver Manager; I've looked there, and didn't see anything about "additional drivers". No buttons to launch additional menus, either. It currently reports "Using nVidia Binary Driver - version 331.38 from nvidia-331 (recommended)". I have a selection for the same but from nvidia-331-updates, two entries for an older version and its updates, and one for nouveau -- but nothing that looks like "additional drivers".

Comment

Reading that link, that is where you need to go to install the nVidia drivers and it "should" automatically install any "additional" drivers. Past that as to 32bit vs. 64bit I'm not sure of.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Observer View Post
                  That's Driver Manager; I've looked there, and didn't see anything about "additional drivers". No buttons to launch additional menus, either. It currently reports "Using nVidia Binary Driver - version 331.38 from nvidia-331 (recommended)". I have a selection for the same but from nvidia-331-updates, two entries for an older version and its updates, and one for nouveau -- but nothing that looks like "additional drivers".
                  I highly doubt Jockey (the graphical installer for "additional drivers") will install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Let's forget all that and use the always-capable command line. First, though, let's see which drivers are installed. What's the output of dpkg -l | egrep 'nvidia|cuda'?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    Let's forget all that and use the always-capable command line. First, though, let's see which drivers are installed. What's the output of dpkg -l | egrep 'nvidia|cuda'?
                    Code:
                    dpkg -l | egrep 'nvida|cuda'
                    rc  libcuda1-331                                331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
                    ii  libcuda1-331-updates                        331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
                    That's what I've got.

Comment

Following up here, I'm now certain this problem (black box covering graphics and game not running) is a video related Wine architecture conflict. Not only was I able to partially resolve the problem by activating the 64-bit Flash plugin (pipelight-plugin --unlock x64-flash && pipelight-plugin --activate x64-flash), but I'm getting a similar failure with an installed game that runs under Wine (Path of Exile). For PoE, the obvious solution is to reinstall via PlayOnLinux with a 64-bit Wine prefix (fortunately, now that I have a completed install, there's a way to avoid repeating the 4.5 GiB download of all game content). Unfortunately, the x64 plugins for Pipelight are "experimental", which seems to mean they're prone to crashes and run very, very slowly.

Comment

On a throwaway machine I wasn't able to get both the 32-bit and 64-bit nVidia drivers installed, so the approach suggested in the documentation you referenced earlier appears to be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          On a throwaway machine I wasn't able to get both the 32-bit and 64-bit nVidia drivers installed, so the approach suggested in the documentation you referenced earlier appears to be wrong.
                          I'm reaching that conclusion also (or that it's just not possible). Following up on the instructions for the black box covering Flash content, I went through a manual nVidia driver install last night (using the nVidia provided .run file download). I got a successful install (and got upgraded to 340.24 driver), and found (and answered yes on) the option to install 32-bit OGL support libraries, which I now think is what the Pipelight troubleshooting page refers to, but found no change in the operation of Pipelight/Flash. The odd thing is, Flash seems to work more or less fine for video, but I'm having trouble with games (and similar trouble with a non-Flash game, as noted above, making me think this is mainly a Wine issue). Problem is, winehq effectively seems to reject all bug reports unless you compiled Wine for yourself from current revision source, or have a daily build that's very fresh -- blocking all feedback from those trying to use the actual release versions, even though they strongly recommend using your distro's package (which will inevitably be at least a few minor revisions behind) to install Wine.

Comment

Well, [Daffy]What a revoltin' development![/Daffy].

I noticed this morning, after the manual install of the updated nVidia driver yesterday, that some things weren't working the way I expected. For a start, PlayOnLinux was entirely missing; a little Googling led me to the apt logs where I found it had been uninstalled, along with Wine and a few other minor items. Driver Manager wasn't reporting the driver version (said I was using nouveau), which isn't too surprising since I presume it works by checking what driver package is installed, and the 340.24 driver wasn't from a package). More troubling, my desktop effects weren't working; in the Advanced tab for them in System Settings, I found Open GL set to 2.0 and setting it to 3.1 gave a message that 21 effects couldn't be loaded and settings were being reverted. Finally, BOINC client Einstein@Home was saying "GPU Missing" (though MilkyWay@Home was crunching away just fine with CPU-only tasks).

Presuming all these problems were related to the manual nVidia driver upgrade, I used Driver Manager to revert to 331.38, remove the nouveau blocking file the nVidia installer had put in /etc/modprobe.d, rebooted, reverted to nouveau using Driver Manager, rebooted again, and reselected the 331.38 driver, then rebooted once more before reinstalling PlayOnLinux. I also installed a couple of the recommends for Wine that weren't present. Checking Synaptic I found a report of two broken packages, and allowed Synaptic to repair a couple Wine packages that apparently aren't compatible with one of the default files loaded with 331.38 (they had to change that when I originally installed Wine, too). Even after all this, the nvidia X Server Settings application is a sort of "shell" of itself -- all the information and settings menus I'm used to (resolution, clock settings, optimizations, etc.) are missing,

As far as I know, everything Wine-related is working again, my desktop effects are back to normal (after setting rendering back to OGL 3.1), and the only things still not working are the nVidia X Server Settings and Einstein@Home. I know BOINC GPU tasks for nVidia depend on the Cuda driver, and Synaptic says it's installed.

Here's the new output of dpkg -l | egrep 'nvidia|cuda':

Code:
                            dpkg -l | egrep 'nvidia|cuda'
                            ii  libcuda1-331                                331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
                            rc  libcuda1-331-updates                        331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
                            ii  nvidia-331                                  331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 331.38
                            rc  nvidia-331-updates                          331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 331.38
                            ii  nvidia-331-uvm                              331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA Unified Memory kernel module
                            rc  nvidia-libopencl1-331                       331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL Driver and ICD Loader library
                            rc  nvidia-libopencl1-331-updates               331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL Driver and ICD Loader library
                            ii  nvidia-opencl-icd-331                       331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
                            rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-331-updates               331.38-0ubuntu7                       amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
                            ii  nvidia-prime                                0.6.2                                 amd64        Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
                            ii  nvidia-settings                             331.20-0ubuntu8                       amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

Comment

I think I see the problem, but I don't know how to correct it: it looks like the Nouveau driver is still loading despite the nVidia driver being installed:

Code:
                              lspci -vnn | grep -i VGA -A 12
                              02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 520] [10de:1040] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                                      Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0915]
                                      Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
                                      Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
                                      Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
                                      Memory at fa000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
                                      I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
                                      Expansion ROM at feb80000 [disabled] [size=512K]
                                      Capabilities: <access denied>
                                      Kernel driver in use: nouveau

02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:0e08] (rev a1)
                                      Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0915]

Comment

Working...
                              X