This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building new pc need advice on moving ssd drive with kubuntu

Hi I am building a new pc with amd 8350 cpu on a gigabyte 990fxa mb and a nvidia geforce gtx750 graphics card. I want to move to the new pc a ssd drive which is ext4 and has kubuntu as main os with another partition which has fedora. It also has boot and swap. Home partition is on a seperate 1tb sata drive. the new system will have a seagate internal hybrid ssd drive, this can be home and I am not thinking of moving the sata drive (which has home partition).

My present system is intel cote tm2 quad cpu with a nvidia GF116 [GeForce GTS 450 Rev. 2] graphics. Kubuntu is using nvidia drivers.

Can I just move the ssd card or is it best to reinstall. I probably will have to format the seagate hybrid drive and I am thinking the best way to do this is booting from gparted live disk formatting the seagate drive and creating a home partition. I have backed up my home directory on to usb drive.

What do you think?

Ah no replies! I tried just moving the ssd drive which had system files on it. That was ok and pc booted and seemed ok. However, I had big problems with home directory which I tried putting on a new hybrid drive with gparted live disk, and then copy a backup of my old home folder on to it. This was not recognised as home partition. So I ended up having to do a fresh install. One thing I did when I had the system up was copy a backup of /etc/apt folder to get all the repositories I had on the original. This seems ok but I am not sure if its a correct thing to do. I liked the system I had.

One thing kubuntu is missing and a thing I greatly liked about fedora was autoten or easylife. Made for easy installation.

Comment

Some time ago I put toghether a new pc, and reused my hard drive in the new pc.
      There was a dual boot windows XP - Kubuntu on it.
      At the first boot, Kubuntu presented a number of error messages about drivers, but after a reboot everything was fine, it seemed to have detected the new hw and put the correct drivers in place.
      Booting windows was a complete disaster, it did not start at all, so I removed the windows partition, and from that day on my PC is Kubuntu only, and never looked back to install a fresh copy of windows.
      Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
      linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
      A good place to start:
      Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
        At the first boot, Kubuntu presented a number of error messages about drivers, but after a reboot everything was fine, it seemed to have detected the new hw and put the correct drivers in place.
        Booting windows was a complete disaster, it did not start at all, so I removed the windows partition, and from that day on my PC is Kubuntu only, and never looked back to install a fresh copy of windows.
        This matches my experience with Linux and Windows -- from XP forward, a "major" hardware change (like motherboard chipset, CPU, and RAM, though generally not a same-socket CPU upgrade or a hard disk upgrade/replacement) requires a ground-up reinstall (and reactivation -- which, somehow, MS supports long after end-of-life) of Windows, but most Linux distros will hiccup once or twice and then carry on: hence why most of them can be run "live" from the installation CD or USB, including ability to use persistence to carry a full, working, customizable OS around on a USB key; they detect all hardware every boot anyway, so it's not generally a big deal if it changes.

Comment

Working...
        X