This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux on Intel's NUC

This is interesting, could be useful to people here wanting to build with Intel's NUC.
    Recent, Feb 1, 2014.

You'll note the EFI issue and easy workaround; hopefully Intel will do a BIOS update for it. Other issue is WiFi (for which you might choose a not-so-new card).

Linux on the NUC: Using Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and the SteamOS beta

Intel's mini desktop handles four prominent distros with a few headaches.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...teamos-beta/2/

Ubuntu ran OK; how would it be very much different for Kubuntu KDE?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

That Bluetooth problem reminds me of the problem my wife was having connecting her Bluetooth earpiece one day. It seems that the Bluetooth on this Acer was on (I normally turn it off because I don't have any use for it) and it prevented her phone from making its normal connection to her earpiece. When I turned it off she connected instantly. On the other side, as an experiment, I tried to connect another Bluetooth device to this Acer while her earpiece was active. I could never make the connection.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The t440s I ordered has that WiFi card... should be an interesting one (if it ever arrives!)
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Probably useful for you is Ubuntu's collection of kernels. Scroll to the bottom and download the latest. You can future kernels one release forward: Raring will run with a Saucy kernel, Saucy will run with a Trusty kernel, etc. I can't predict what would happen if you try a larger spread, like running Raring with a Trusty kernel.

Oh, and no, the low-latency kernels will not make your system faster. Quite the opposite, in fact.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 08, 2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X