This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alf USB wifi works great!

Because my Atheros AR9462 chip has a connection and stability problem with kernels 3.2 through 3.9 I decided to get a good USB wifi reported to work well with Linux. The name of the device is in the title bar. I got it from Amazon for $22.

It works with the 3.2 and 3.11 kernels. It is stable and fast. All I did to install it was to use modprobe -r to remove the ath9k and ath3k stuff, and then just plug it in. It was immediately identified and established a connection with my E2500 access point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61fsaiKpHhL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	648052
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 22, 2013, 03:47 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I like the antenna, is it removable from the USB dongle?
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      I like the antenna, is it removable from the USB dongle?
      Yes, it is. However, I believe that is only to make it easy to store. Without the antenna it might not pick up a strong signal, OR, it may cause an impedance mismatch and damage the dongle.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Yes, it is. However, I believe that is only to make it easy to store. Without the antenna it might not pick up a strong signal, OR, it may cause an impedance mismatch and damage the dongle.
        Not a problem, I want to attach a Yagi antenna wifi for more gain. Thanks
        Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Nov 23, 2013, 03:23 PM. Reason: missing word
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Nice, I have a couple of friends who may be looking for something similar.

Always nice to have a good recommendation from someone you trust!

Thanks
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
            Not a problem, I want to attach a Yagi antenna wifi for more gain. Thanks
            Commercial, or are you going to make it yourself?

Comment

Well, wouldn't you know it!

Three days after the Alfa USB wifi dongle arrived in the mail, my Liquorix kernel upgraded from 3.11.8 to 3.11.9. After I rebooted I noticed the KNemo notifier for wlan0 was lite. Mmmm ... was it active? I unplugged my Eth0 cable and the AR9462 on board wifi chip picked right up without repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting. Testing the speed it gave an 11Mb/s down and 1.1Mb/s up. Acceptable for wifi on a 15Mb/s link..

Well, it never hurts to have a backup wifi usb dongle!

Comment

Working...
              X