X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splashtop 2 and Kingsoft Office and spcial splashtop computer

A) Splashtop 2

Splashtop 2 remote desktop works just as well as the original Splashtop on my Android Samsung GalaxyS.

It SPECIFICALLY now states that it works with Ubuntu 12.04 and there is even an image on the information page of Win8, Mac and Ubuntu screens.

B) Kingsoft Office
    Why did I mention Kingsoft Office?

If you do not want to actually use Splashtop because of security concerns, one can TEST THE WATERS with Kingsoft Office, it is totally free.

I have used KSO regularly to generate and open documents, they save in a .txt format or a .doc format and one can move them around using "Box" or any other cloud storage thing, including Kingsofts, but that will cost some money and is how they generate revenue.

However, the "point" is to install Kingsoft and see if you even use the thing...if one will use Kingsoft then one might use Splashtop.

C) TWO ITEMS of note.

a) I, personally have not used the Ubuntu interace that every one hates, but from what I have seen on the net, it seems that that stupid bar on the left "works" with Splashtop..however, getting into the other apps, etc. is problematical.

b) There is a "midsized" Samsung physical phone, that is about one third again larger than a normal phone.

I have not tried it because I carry the phone in my pants pocket and the larger size is "to large" for me.

HOWEVER, if one does not really want to lug around even a tablet or to purchase a tablet.....

That larger phone might be the way to go if one wants to use Splashtop and the Kubuntu tablet OS on it.

In other words a tablet on a larger than normal phone using Kubutu tablet OS on a phone instead of on a tablet.

WHY? ...

Splashtop 2 allows one to make CUSTOM "swipes" and stuff.... so one SHOULD...SHOULD...be able to use the "tablet motions"....ON THE PHONE... how kewl is that..

The cost for the phone in the midwest is in the range of 300 bucks now but it will probably drop.

D) a DEDICATED Splashtop computer.

Sounds kinda like overkill but if one is worried about security, one has to have the computer "on the net" for Splashtop to "see" it...

I would conjecture that the least expensive way to do the whole thing would be to have a seperate, physical, computer that is to be on the net for when one wants to use it remotely with Splashtop, that way, nobody could hack into one's regular computer.

It all depends on what one wants to do "on the cloud" "on the phone" etc. and cost / form factor considerations.

But the cut to the chase is that SplashTop does, indeed, work as advertised.

If anyone has questions I'll be glad to answer as my small abilities allow.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 30, 2013, 06:29 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Are you talking about the note 2 in this thread? I am getting one soon, and am looking forward to trying this out. I enjoy spashtop as is, but am also looking into using the Waco digitizer for gimp. Thanks

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Kubuntu version 12.04
    KDE version 4.8.5
    Computer HP dv5
    Cpu dual core 2 gig
    Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
    Ram 4 gigs
    Display twinview Laptop, and 32 inch Vizio

Comment

Yeppers.
      Woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

That is a beast of a phone. I have been eyeing it since they got root on it. Now that I have waited so long, I figure I can wait through mobile world congress to see if they put the new screens, and processors in the galaxy s4. These little devices are what brought me here to begin with. I hadn't even thought about splashtop when I switched. Glad to know my favorite way to control my pc is here too. Thanks:thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
        Kubuntu version 12.04
        KDE version 4.8.5
        Computer HP dv5
        Cpu dual core 2 gig
        Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
        Ram 4 gigs
        Display twinview Laptop, and 32 inch Vizio

Comment

Working...
        X