This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android For Nook

My friend was over the other day and she was asking about putting Android on her Nook she wants to read her Kendel books. I could not find any Android OS downloads, just an offer to buy a card with Android installed for the nook. She was asking about Jelly Bean (I think that is V-4.2)

Also would it be possible to use a Kubuntu tablet version on a nook?
    Last edited by Robtygart; Dec 27, 2012, 03:07 PM.
    Rob

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
    My friend was over the other day and she was asking about putting Android on her Nook she wants to read her Kendel books.
    just install Calibre and convert the Kendel books to EPUB for the Nook , I Have My Wife doing it

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Which kind of Nook? If it's the older e-ink type, don't bother -- the CPUs in those are very weak. If it's a newer(ish) model, the best place to learn now to root your Nook and flash a full Android is at the XDA Developer forums.

* Nook Color
      * Nook Tablet
      * Nook HD, HD+

Apprentice Alf may also be of interest to you. While I do not endorse DRM removal as a way to avoid purchasing books, I find it a necessary to for me to retain non-repudiable rights to content that I have purchased. I should not have to surrender traditional owership rights simply because I prefer digital distribution over analog. Eileen, a good friend of mine, is alas wrong in this regard.

Comment

Nextbook 9

I got a wonderful Nextbook 9 for $90 at Big Lots. Has Android, cam, etc. Wonderful little eBook reader. Much, much better nicer than the Nook.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Which kind of Nook? If it's the older e-ink type, don't bother -- the CPUs in those are very weak. If it's a newer(ish) model, the best place to learn now to root your Nook and flash a full Android is at the XDA Developer forums.

* Nook Color
          * Nook Tablet
          * Nook HD, HD+

Apprentice Alf may also be of interest to you. While I do not endorse DRM removal as a way to avoid purchasing books, I find it a necessary to for me to retain non-repudiable rights to content that I have purchased. I should not have to surrender traditional owership rights simply because I prefer digital distribution over analog. Eileen, a good friend of mine, is alas wrong in this regard.
          Thanks Steve, she is not computer savy, and this is something that I will have her do, we were looking on the web at this http://n2acards.com/ isn't there something like this I can download myself and make the card?

Originally posted by perspectoff View Post
          I got a wonderful Nextbook 9 for $90 at Big Lots. Has Android, cam, etc. Wonderful little eBook reader. Much, much better nicer than the Nook.
          That sounds cool! I will look the next time I am out. Can we add Kubuntu to it?
          Rob

Comment

Thanks Steve, she is not computer savy, and this is something that I will have her do, we were looking on the web at this http://n2acards.com/ isn't there something like this I can download myself and make the card?
            Nooks have a very interesting property: if you insert a microSD card with a bootable Android on it, the Nook will boot from the SD card rather than from the internal EMMC. This is why it's virtually impossible to brick a Nook. They have built-in escape mechanisms. The product you are referring to here is simply a microSD card pre-configured with Android.

This is not all unicorns and rainbows, though. microSD cards are notoriously slow, so performance will suffer. The Nook Color has a single-core 800 MHz CPU, which is nearly useless for Android 4.0 and up. The Nook Tablet has a dual-core 1 GHz processor, so it should perform a bit better. The Nook HD will handle Android 4.0 just fine.

That sounds cool! I will look the next time I am out. Can we add Kubuntu to it?
            No. The Nextbook, like nearly all Android tablets, has an ARM CPU. Unlike x86, each ARM CPU type is unique, and requires special builds. *buntu is focusing on just a few ARM CPUs now, mostly Tegra and OMAP. Thet Nextbook 9 has a poky Coretex-A8.

Comment

Thanks Steve I will let her know. As for the Nextbook 9 I will just save for a new laptop, and its about that time.
              Rob

Comment

Hey Steve, does this mean what I think? http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/ubunt...announced.html they use the same processor right?
                Rob

Comment

Hey Steve, does this mean what I think? http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/ubunt...announced.html they use the same processor right?
                  There is no way to tell, based on the information given in that linked page. It mentions support for x86 and ARM processors, but doesn't go into specifics; probably because, as the article notes, no hardware has been announced yet.
                  sigpic
                  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing what happens.
                    Rob

Comment

I have had a rooted nook color for over 2 years. I have mrom on it now which is a customized version of cm7. I would stick to cm7 because going any higher really puts a strain on the older processor. You can over clock to 1.1 gigs, and it works rather well. I would recommend an emmc install because it is faster. Don't pay for anything, the guys at xda would help you do it all for free. Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
                      Kubuntu version 12.04
                      KDE version 4.8.5
                      Computer HP dv5
                      Cpu dual core 2 gig
                      Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                      Ram 4 gigs
                      Display twinview Laptop, and 32 inch Vizio

Comment

Nooks are great. Near impossible to brick. I've thoroughly enjoyed tinkering with mine. Alas, I've moved on now, and my NC rests peacefully in my "retired gadget" drawer. My Nexuses 4, 7, and 10 receive all my attention

I really should sell all that crap. Perhaps it'll help fund my next passion: a hand-made double-descant French horn

Comment

A nexus 10 :eek: Wife won't let me splurge on that one, but the note 2 coming will keep me content for awhile.
                          How do you like the nexus 10? I think it is a really good piece of kit.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
                          Kubuntu version 12.04
                          KDE version 4.8.5
                          Computer HP dv5
                          Cpu dual core 2 gig
                          Gpu Nvidia GeForce 9200m
                          Ram 4 gigs
                          Display twinview Laptop, and 32 inch Vizio

Comment

It's replaced my Nook for e-reading. The larger screen allows me to see magazine pages as they were published rather than having to use the text-based article reading mode. And the tablet is very fast.

I run the ParanoidAndroid ROM on mine; it brings back the tablet UI, which is much better suited for 10" devices than the silly phablet thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X