X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit has become primary architecture for Debian users

This is the totality of the article at Distrowatch:

Debian GNU/Linux For almost as long as 64-bit computers for consumers have been available there has been debate as to whether a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system is preferable. Proponents of 64-bit systems point to faster number crunching, access to larger amounts of memory and the availability of more registers. Fans of 32-bit systems will point out the lack of need in their lives for larger amounts of memory, the benefit of smaller packages and wider developer support. With this in mind it may be interesting to note that, for the first time, amd64 has become the primary architecture of Debian users in terms of number of submissions via the popularity-contest statistics. It is also interesting to note that amd64 overtaking i386 does not appear to be a result of i386 usage declining, but rather of amd64's install base slowly increasing, Graphs and exact numbers are available on the Debian popcon website.
    woodsmoke
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 15, 2012, 10:07 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Slow news day?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

This thread's title is a bit misleading... since amd64 is the architecture for all 64bit CPUs (Intel and AMD alike).
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
        This thread's title is a bit misleading... since amd64 is the architecture for all 64bit CPUs (Intel and AMD alike).
        Indeed. I changed the thread's title to reflect this fact.

Comment

Go 128-bit!

Comment

x32 is next :-)

So, what do you think is the best arch? x86_64, PPC64, SPARC64...
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
              So, what do you think is the best arch? x86_64, PPC64, SPARC64...
              PDP-10. 36 bits is enough for everybody.

Comment

For some applications in our data acquisition system we need a Modbus with 64-bit address space but the software will only run in Win32 so we split it in two 32-bit half's that are processed separately.

Comment

Working...
                X