Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff! Just recently installed firefox and firefox-kde-support from the blueshell repository, as soon as I found out about it. Locked it in Synaptic so it doesn't get overwitten by more recent official versions. Found out you also have to lock the localisations, or you'll end up with updated localisations which don't work for the not-updated Firefox anymore.

Never had any real problems with Firefox, so I'll certainly stick with it. I'll avoid Chrome like the plague, because I don't like Google snooping out my surfing habits, claiming ownership to all I do in Chrome and then selling everything to whoever they want. From Google's Terms of Use for Chrome:

Originally posted by Google Chrome Terms of Use
    11. Content license from you
    11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
    11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
    11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.
    11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.
    tl;dr: *Anything* you post using Chrome, be it forum posts, blog articles, emails or whatever else, becomes the property of Google, and they can do with it whatever they want, change it however they see fit and distribute or sell it however, wherever and to whoever they want.

When some people got worked up about that, Google tried to weasel their way out by pretending that they don't do that anymore, but if you're naive enough to actually believe that, you'll also find this device very useful: (click for bigger pic)

Google and "Privacy" or "User Rights" have always been mortal enemies.
    Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
    http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
    http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

That's why I've de-Google-fied myself as much as possible. No more Gmail, no more Google Calendar. Haven't yet moved images off Picasa, but will do that soon. The only remaining Google thang I use is an Android phone, because iThings are even worse.

Comment

I could do with this myself, I've never worked out how to rewind my DVD's after I've watched them. Should have stuck to VHS.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          That's why I've de-Google-fied myself as much as possible. No more Gmail, no more Google Calendar. Haven't yet moved images off Picasa, but will do that soon. The only remaining Google thang I use is an Android phone, because iThings are even worse.
          I'm hooked. My Android phone with my google calendar and contacts and mail (and maps ... Google knows a lot of my starred places) is working pretty smoothly. I just hope I don't have anything to hide. Meaning of course, that google won't abuse its aggregate knowledge of things I don't feel the need to hide individually.

I tend to avoid google search though. And I have other mail accounts.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I rarely and I mean rarely have a firefox crash. Whoever is having crashes on firefox is doing something wrong. Plus Googles browser is ugly as hell. Firefox has way better theming and add ons. It's not even close. I hate the way they stick all the different colored addon icons in the address bar.

Problem with google is they are embedded in soo many web pages with google analytics, google syndication and on and on. I block them with no script. Clearing cookies, flash cookies everytime I close my browser. Not accepting third party cookies but Google still knows. I guarantee it.

Comment

I have nothing to hide; I use a lot of google services; I even have their DNS servers set as backups, although I have about 5 openNIC servers as higher priority
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                I have nothing to hide; I use a lot of google services
                Most of us have nothing to hide.
                But that does not make it OK for companies to dip into our personal information and use it in for us uncontrolled ways.
                Uncontrolled is the keyword, presently when things go awry you do have little or no recourse except in places like the EU where privacy law is on the side of the individual.
                But by that time the solution might be too late and anyone googling your name will into eternity read the bullexcrement that should never have escaped.>
                (Oops we're being censored so I'll use excrement )
                Last edited by Teunis; Sep 23, 2012, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  (Oops we're being censored so I'll use excrement )
                  Just use BS. After all, who could complain about 'Bachelor of Science'?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Just use BS. After all, who could complain about 'Bachelor of Science'?
                    Only those who feel it necessary to Pile (it) Higher and Deeper

Comment

Working...
                    X