Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wouldn't it be awesome if these PCs came with Kubuntu pre-installed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't it be awesome if these PCs came with Kubuntu pre-installed?

Vizio started selling PCs and they are really nicely designed. I think Kubuntu would fit right in, specially with their Ultrabook line of products. Since they're a small company who sells through Walmart and Walmart is known for selling pre-installed GNU/Linux computers, I was wondering if this company can be persuaded to start selling out of the box Kubuntu computers?

I also wonder right now how these computers would do with a GNU/Linux distro on them. I think since they're most Intel based it wouldn't be too much trouble to install Kubuntu on it.

VIZIO recommends Windows® 7.
    Its written on every page it seems. Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      That might change with Windows 8 when M$ quits offering it's steep OEM discounts. But, probably it won't.

Comment

It really is too bad that there is not some "Linux advocate" that has really, really deep pockets, that would go to Vizio and say...hey....I want to buy ten thousand Vizio computers, re-label them as Vizio+ add in a custom video card and pre-install them with a Linux, possibly Kubuntu, put them up for sale on the web only.

Now, if there really are millions of Linux users out there at least the left ten percent of the bell curve is, at any one time, needing to get a new computer.

That would mean that, probably by the end of a year, thinking world wide, then the computers would be sold.

Not that the numbers would be that big but it would be a graphic demonstration of what purchasers would do.

What we have now is rather vague references by Canonical and the one-off computer company that they are selling "hundereds of thousands".

okaaay......

Again, the deep pocket could go to the company with the Kubu tablet....say I want to plop money on the table and add ten percent and you find some reasonably large hardware outlet, possibly Best Buy or Circuit City and lets put these front and center and see what happens.

Or.... is this all just a hunker down and hope it lasts at least as long as we are competent so we don't go to our graves thinking "If we'd a just done ....."

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Something similar was written on my first PC that I installed GNU/Liux on.

Comment

Linux lappys in Best Buy, Dixons other places

Well, shut my mouf as ....who was it in the thirties used to say that....

Google's Chromebook laptop is now available in Best Buy stores in the United States and at Dixons in the United Kingdom.

Asus EEPC is in Italy.

Canonical expects Ubuntu to be loaded on 5 percent of the PCs that ship around the globe next year. (of course they have said this BEFORE!! lol )
            Here is the rather short article with possible explanations as to why.

https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/...store-near-you

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

But why Ubuntu? Unity is definitely not the best example of a Linux DE.

Comment

I imagine a corporate decision. dunno.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

But why Ubuntu? Unity is definitely not the best example of a Linux DE.
                  The same reason the Steam gaming client is coming to Ubuntu...inertia.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I was looking at a all in one at Wally-World. The Vizio Win7 demo on the end of the isle was locked up lmao!! But they had a nice little touch screen model from another manufacturer that caught my eye. There is a certain appeal. I'd like the touch screen to play with.

Comment

Working...
                    X