This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS tracking

I pulled the Earthmate LT-20 GPS receiver out of storage. It was the USB device that came with my old Street Atlas 5.0 package that I ran many years ago.

I installed gpsd, gpsd-clients and Viking (GPS Data manager and gui). I created an account (free) with OpenStreetMap.

From a Konsole I ran

sudo gpsd -b /dev/ttyUSB0 (because I plugged it into USB 0)

and

xgps &

Xgps displays a panel showing all the GPS satellites it can receive, color coded according to their signal strength. I used it to position the Earthmate LT-20 to give the maximum number of green dots on its display.

Then I ran Viking.

I created a "Map" layer and a GPS layer. Using the properties option of the Map layer I selected the OpenStreetMap account as my source of maps and checked the "Auto download maps" checkbox. Using the GPS properties I selected my Deloreme device and started "Real time tracking" so the cursor would follow my movements. I also selected for the cursor to stay in the middle of the screen. Rolling my mouse thumbwheel I could zoom in or out, and the appropriate maps would download and install automatically. As I moved or panned about the appropriate map downloaded and displayed. If you preload Viking with the maps of the appropriate detail for a trip you won't need an internet connection to continually download maps as you move from one map sector to another.

Once you have all of your layers set up (I only used two of the seven possible layers) you can use "Save As..." and save it with a name to recall it later. I called mine "Nebraska" because I began with an image of the entire USA, but at the street level only for Nebraska. You can also use the options that let you save your maps as either PNG or JPG images.

I never experimented with tracks and waypoints.

I had used "Navit" a few years ago, but at the time its interface was too clumsy and mapping wasn't as well developed as OpenStreetMap is today. I can understand why Apple uses OpenStreetMap. The quality and detail of the maps are very good.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 08, 2012, 06:12 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X