This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIMP 2.8 single window look see

One of the "things" about the new interface, even though the default is to multiple windows is;

For example, there doesn’t appear to be a way to snap content tabs out of the main window or split the content area, which means that users won’t be able to view multiple images at the same time. which is something that I, personally, have found to be useful.

It is a very in depth article.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news...=related_right

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; May 06, 2012, 10:27 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

woodsmoke,

Does Gimp 2.8 download as a standard tarball file or are there special tricks to compiling it? I'm just starting out with Gimp. Would I be better off learning it with the old 2.6 or would 2.8 have advantages to someone who is just getting their feet wet. I used to play around with desktop publishing and graphics in the late eighties, but haven't done anything with it since.

thanx,
    capt-zero

Comment

I tried the 2.8 version with the single window option (note: it's not enabled by default) and found an odd 'quirk'... trying to save changes in 2.8, one has to export the image now every time and select a file format. No idea why?

@capt-zero,

You could search google for an unofficial PPA and add the repository; try "gimp 2.8 PPA" .
      Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
        I tried the 2.8 version with the single window option (note: it's not enabled by default) and found an odd 'quirk'... trying to save changes in 2.8, one has to export the image now every time and select a file format. No idea why?

@capt-zero,

You could search google for an unofficial PPA and add the repository; try "gimp 2.8 PPA" .
        I tried the old gimp still in beta, and I also found this saving/export strange (and annoying) at first, then I realised that it all makes sense. When you start a project it's one format with layers, in the old gimp if you saved a image without layers, any new work made would have been lost if you didn't save it again as a format with layers. It all makes sense in exporting to a compressed format rather then saving it.

I have trouble to install 2.8 however, which has forced me to use Krita, and starting to enjoy it more and more .. but here's the output of missing gimp dependencies:

Code:
        Följande paket har beroenden som inte kan tillfredsställas:
         gimp : "dependent by": libgimp2.0 (>= 2.7.5) "and will not be installed"
                Beroende av: libgimp2.0 (<= 2.7.5-z) men det kommer inte att installeras
                Beroende av: libpoppler-glib6 (>= 0.16) men det kan inte installeras
        E: Kunde inte korrigera problemen, du har hållit tillbaka trasiga paket. ("broken packages have been held back")
        jonas@kubuntu:~$ aptitude search libgimp
        c   libgimp2.0                                                            - Libraries for the GNU Image Manipulation Program                               
        p   libgimp2.0:i386                                                       - Libraries for the GNU Image Manipulation Program                               
        p   libgimp2.0-dev                                                        - Headers and other files for compiling plugins for GIMP                         
        p   libgimp2.0-dev:i386                                                   - Headers and other files for compiling plugins for GIMP                         
        p   libgimp2.0-doc                                                        - Developers' Documentation for the GIMP library                                 
        jonas@kubuntu:~$
        b.r

Jonas
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
        X