Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A rather stunning note from Xubuntu developer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rather stunning note from Xubuntu developer.

I found this over at Distrowatch:

Some bad news for the users and fans of Xubuntu, an official Ubuntu sub-project that has found some resonance with many Unity refugees. Charlie Kravetz, a former project lead, has formally resigned from Xubuntu:

"Due to circumstances now surrounding the Xubuntu project, I will no longer be able to participate in any capacity. For 18 months as Project Lead, I attempted to keep as many as possible involved with this project. Some of those individuals fought every attempt I made to better the project. Now, having observed the project from the sidelines for almost an entire release cycle, I find that those individuals were actually playing some kind of games, for reasons I will never understand. As of the release of 'Precise Pangolin' as Xubuntu 12.04, I am resigning any and all positions with the project. I wish the Xubuntu success in the future."

The development of the distribution continues unabated, however, with the developers issuing a call for testing before this week's planned release of beta 2 of Xubuntu 12.04.
    The article( which has nothing more than what is quoted above.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...120326#feature

The original post:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xu...ch/008141.html

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

The mail list thread was an interesting read.

You know, Xubuntu lacks the benefit of a dedicated forum -- they rely on Ubuntu Forums instead. I wonder if they might be able to solve some of their communications issues if they had a dedicated forum like we do...

Comment

That is a thought oh great smart one! lol

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Yes it was. I was struck with the apparent lack of concern that a project lead would suddenly resign, and how few comments there were about it.

There must be other things going on in the background that relate to this. It looks like a palace coup took place.

You know, Xubuntu lacks the benefit of a dedicated forum -- they rely on Ubuntu Forums instead. I wonder if they might be able to solve some of their communications issues if they had a dedicated forum like we do...
        Excellent point. AND, are there ways in which our forum could be an additional help to Kubuntu?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Yes it was. I was struck with the apparent lack of concern that a project lead would suddenly resign, and how few comments there were about it.

There must be other things going on in the background that relate to this. It looks like a palace coup took place.

Excellent point. AND, are there ways in which our forum could be an additional help to Kubuntu?
          I think most of the Xubuntu developer discussions happen on IRC. Their list traffic has never been really high volume. That said, if some sort of coup did take place, it's a shame. Things seem to be looking up for Xubuntu, particularly with the Gnome3/Unity exodus from Ubuntu.

Comment

http://blog.xfce.org/2012/01/xfce-4010/

Comment

At one time a couple of years ago there was a dedicated Xubuntu forum. I was a moderator. But it folded after a couple of months because it just did not generate enough traffic. It was hosted by the guys that support the Enlightenment DE, but I can not even find their web site now.

Comment

Interesting move. I like it.

I am playing the latest Minecraft release, 1.2.4. But, if you go to youtube you will see references to releases more than a year old with the "1.8" version number. Confusing indeed.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I had read somewhere that Xubuntu put the xfce DE on top of a gnome 2 core (don't know if I worded that very well) whereas some other distros built xfce from the ground up. At this point I would think Xubuntu is in a world of real cluster confusion.

When Gnome 3 happened Ubuntu Studio switched to Xfce. Another cluster.

Hopefully these things can get sorted out. I like the contributions these guys have given us.

Ken.
                  Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Xfce is built on Gtk2, but I'm not aware of any GNOME dependencies. That would be truly weird if Xubuntu were compiled from source to include such oddities.

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
                      I had read somewhere that Xubuntu put the xfce DE on top of a gnome 2 core (don't know if I worded that very well) whereas some other distros built xfce from the ground up. At this point I would think Xubuntu is in a world of real cluster confusion.

When Gnome 3 happened Ubuntu Studio switched to Xfce. Another cluster.

Hopefully these things can get sorted out. I like the contributions these guys have given us.

Ken.
                      As SteveRiley said, Xfce is built on Gtk2 which is the library that Gnome2 was built on, but that does not make it Gnome. Ubuntu's Unity 2D is built on QT, but that doesn't make it built on top of KDE (which also uses QT). There are some Ubuntu utilities that Xubuntu uses and these can bring in Gnome dependencies (such as user administration dialogs). But the short answer is that Xubuntu uses pure Xfce and "borrows" from Ubuntu to fill in the gaps.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Steve and vw72. I think I got my missinformation from some forum where someone was trying to say why his favorite distro was better that others.
                        I think Xubuntu is a good distro and have it on my old laptop (one partition Xubuntu and one Lubuntu). Lubuntu seems to match my personality better though.
                        It's nice to have this kind of choice.

Also am very gratefull to the UbuntuStudio folks for the work they do. I use studio apps on my desktop rig running Kubuntu.

Ken.
                        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Working...
                        X