This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's ok Claydoh,I'm at a loss anyway.

One small 'victory' was I was able to at least edit the image, to opacity=0!
    Though, and I know kate is not an image editor as such, but kate at least allowed me to make 'enhancements' to every other image as I wanted, and the changes I made were reflected as such.
    Installing Inkscape to edit opacity settings such as the above is overkill IMO, "48 new packages will be installed" , where kate has sufficed in every other instance.

Can't help but think there is something 'not right' about this particular image though, and the result here as shown remains no different still.

Originally posted by CLAYDOH
    I got lost in the glow...
    I wish the glow would just get lost.
    Last edited by bra|10n; Mar 27, 2012, 06:20 PM. Reason: .1
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

what theme are you using?

Comment

Air, which is stored under 'default' in desktopthemes.

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
          It's ok Claydoh,I'm at a loss anyway.

One small 'victory' was I was able to at least edit the image, to opacity=0!
          Though, and I know kate is not an image editor as such, but kate at least allowed me to make 'enhancements' to every other image as I wanted, and the changes I made were reflected as such.
          Installing Inkscape to edit opacity settings such as the above is overkill IMO, "48 new packages will be installed" , where kate has sufficed in every other instance.

Can't help but think there is something 'not right' about this particular image though, and the result here as shown remains no different still.
          Karbon14, part of koffice/Calligra may be less intrusive that way, but inkscape is the vector graphics editor in linux, bar none.
          Look at download size, not package numbers, and you can also cut down the number by using apt-get with the "--no-install-recommends" flag.

Comment

Thanks and of course I'll make some use of Inkscape now that it's installed, but when, "when?" I'm done it will be un-installed.

I suppose the point, and my resultant attitude toward this, is it shouldn't be this difficult.
            How minor or even trivial is the exercise yet it shows in my opinion at least, that the default theme is in fact broken

Comment

Hmmm a thought here...
              Most of KDE's settings for graphics and the like are stored in memory, and written back at logout. You may be seeing an artifact of this. I would suggest making a copy of the theme folder, and edit that, instead.Give the folder a new name, and edit the metadata.desktop to match the new name. Drop that folder in ~/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme/, and when you open System Settings it will show up. Then all you should have to do is switch to a different theme, make your edit, then switch back to see any changes.

[edit]
              It is not glowbar that is creating the glow - look at tasks.svgz, and notice the taskbar-item-shaped outlines in there. and perhaps even look for the offending color's number in the theme's colors file. This page has a ton of info on what the basic svg files are used for - the glowbar is used for the autohide/unhide. tasks.svgz is what you want to edit, and possibly the colors file.
              Last edited by claydoh; Mar 27, 2012, 07:07 PM. Reason: kde techbase to the rescue

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                [edit]
                It is not glowbar that is creating the glow - look at tasks.svgz, and notice the taskbar-item-shaped outlines in there. and perhaps even look for the offending color's number in the theme's colors file. This page has a ton of info on what the basic svg files are used for - the glowbar is used for the autohide/unhide. tasks.svgz is what you want to edit, and possibly the colors file.
                Claydoh thank you. Simply thank you!

The image that needs editing is in fact tasks.svgz, and not glowbar.svgz as is quoted all over the net when googling this.

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                  I need something explained here...

Under what circumstances in Linux am I denied the option to alter a particular file's contents, when permissions are set rw for all users, or chmod a+rw "filename" for said file?
                  http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/filepermissions.html
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There is also the immutable attribute, which I just learned about the other day.

From man chattr:
                    Code:
                    A file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted or renamed,
                    no link can be created to this file and no data can be written to the file.  Only the
                    superuser or a process possessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE  capability can set or
                    clear this attribute.

Comment

Working...
                    X