Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe "Linux" should move beyond pushing "most secure software".

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe "Linux" should move beyond pushing "most secure software".

I throw this out as food for thought only.

I spent two hours visiting with a Hewlett Packard "customer service/initial repair/over the phone/internet" repair person. Who, if the "device" can't be repaired that way then shifts the customer to the people who have the equipment mailed to them and then there is an "inhouse" repair.

And..............this operation is very quietly going on in the middle of the U.S.!

And, why might you ask?

a) highly qualified and motivated workforce which is trainable. The person had six weeks of training.
    b) non-union, but paid, starting pay, twenty bucks USD, with benefits, in an area where one can live quite comfortably on 12 bucks an hour.

But,.....in the course of conversation, I asked "how often" in say a hundred service calls, the person had to deal with a "virus/malware/etc" situation.

It took a while for the person to figure it out because the answer was....basically............not much.

The person handles about ten calls in an 8 hour shift. And gets a "mallware/etc" situation about...... twice a month. That is ....... ten times 20 work days = 200 calls. and gets two.

And, in those cases, the situation has always been that the user did not pay for the McAffee or Windows Security app, after the initial free period.

When the user paid the fee, then the AV software updated and got rid of the problem.

The person has never actually HAD a....'virus" called in, the few times it was "malware", like ad bots, etc.

Apparently, the person had not thought of it this way....but apparently....Norton, and McAffee and Kerspinsky, and MS have now actually developed software that will deal with the "known" threats efficiently and will respond to the new ones very quickly.

So....again......

This is one person's report.... but it it is even somewhere near correct.....

it might be an idea to move "World's most secure software" down the list and move.... Easy to use, or "innovative" or something up.....like Kubuntu could push the plasma desktop UP the list..

just a thought.

BTW I asked about the internet myth of the user who called tech support to thank them for the wonerful coffee cup holder, the cd tray, and got a blank stare. The person had never heard of it.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    And, in those cases, the situation has always been that the user did not pay for the McAffee or Windows Security app, after the initial free period.
    Minor correction -- there is no free trial for Microsoft's consumer security products. Security Essentials remains free.

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    it might be an idea to move "World's most secure software" down the list and move.... Easy to use, or "innovative" or something up.....like Kubuntu could push the plasma desktop UP the list..
    I find myself in complete agreement. In the aggregate, no reasonable arguments can be made that modern versions of Windows are less secure than Linux. The combination of security technologies built into Windows 7, which are all enabled by default, combined with MSE, will keep machines secure.

The argument I would like to see made is a more mature version of the one favoring free software. TBH, I had not given much thought to the downsides of proprietary (yet wildly popular) software before coming into the Linux community. Having had my awareness of the dangers of file format lock-in, the pervasiveness of DRM, and the true costs these impose, I think we can all do a better job of building a message that resonates well among the business community. The Free Software Foundation, while they do admirable work, needs grow up a bit and tone down it's "sky-is-falling!" tone if wants to be taken more seriously.

Comment

Working...
    X