This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent new Qt/WebKit based browser that takes influence from Firefox

I'm really enjoying this browser. It's cross platform and very suitable for KDE.

http://www.qupzilla.com/screenshots

it IS very fast!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Yes, thanks for sharing - I was looking for a mozilla like browser that was lighter then firefox - Iceweasel wasn't really up for the task, according to me. I hope they implement sync with firefox accounts.

Will try this for a while

Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I tried it. Yes, it is way faster than most browsers out there - probably the fastest I've run in Kubuntu - but ithas its issues. One is that the flash player doesn't activate on videos that have the option of html5, and flash does in rekonq. Html5 videos have been playing black screens on both qupzilla and rekonq as of late (in firefox it does work). Not sure if thats qupzilla's fault, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDaisy View Post
          I tried it. Yes, it is way faster than most browsers out there - probably the fastest I've run in Kubuntu - but ithas its issues. One is that the flash player doesn't activate on videos that have the option of html5, and flash does in rekonq. Html5 videos have been playing black screens on both qupzilla and rekonq as of late (in firefox it does work). Not sure if thats qupzilla's fault, though.
          It seems to support MP4, OGV (OGG), and WebM fine at my end. You can test out the HTML5 capabilities of the browser here: html5test.com

There's also this video site with embedded versions of the two main HTML5 containters available for testing: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Gr...t/Default.html

Comment

This is a "side" comment on what Blue Daisy posted.

I was directed to a "news site" today where there was a very LARGE "flash"..."thing" before one actually got to the news itself.

What I saw, using QupZilla was a BIG GREY THING that had the "flash" symbol in it.... after a few seconds....it went away....and the actual news ITEM then moved up.

I am liking this more, and more.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

It seems to support MP4, OGV (OGG), and WebM fine at my end. You can test out the HTML5 capabilities of the browser here: html5test.com
              I checked the website, and found all of those formats supported.

There's also this video site with embedded versions of the two main HTML5 containters available for testing: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Gr...t/Default.html
              I checked the webpage and found only the flash player working properly. The WebM displayed a black screen with only audio working when played.
              I also check the same site with firefox, and both WebM and flash worked properly. Very strange...

Comment

https://github.com/nowrep/QupZilla/wiki

This project has been started mainly for educational reasons to learn Qt/C++ basics.
                From the basic idea of writing a simple web browser it grew up to an every day usable very fast web browser. Though it cannot be a full replacement for big browsers like Firefox (yet). However it can be, and surely is, a fast & small alternative to quickly browse the web.
                Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Oh well... It works as a good secondary browser for its speed anyway. I hope it can keep itself lightweight in its development.

Comment

Any suggestions on how to install this on 8.04? I just untar'd it and don't find it obvious where to put it nor what to run. It sounds like it should go to /usr/share/qupzilla but I couldn't find clear documentation.

Comment

@Ole Juul

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nowrep/qupzilla
                      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install qupzilla
                      Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post
                        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nowrep/qupzilla
                        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install qupzilla
                        Thanks. I saw that, but it also says for "Ubuntu Precise, Oneiric, Natty and Maverick users" so I was, perhaps wrongly, taking that literally. My fear is that it will mess up the system. What do you think? Go for it?

The only files in the documentation directory are a changelog and a copyright notice. Perhaps they assume that I know, but I don't.

Comment

Add the repository, perform a sudo apt-get update and then run a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and not what will be pulled in. Likely, just the application and associated packages for the repository. You can always answer N to the dist-upgrade if you don't want to continue, and then remove the added repository and rerun sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and your are back to where you were -- no changes to your system.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            Add the repository, perform a sudo apt-get update and then run a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and not what will be pulled in. Likely, just the application and associated packages for the repository. You can always answer N to the dist-upgrade if you don't want to continue, and then remove the added repository and rerun sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and your are back to where you were -- no changes to your system.
                            Thanks Snowhog. After some Googling, I still don't know what the repository is, so I think I'll wait until this gets worked out a little better - although I am always interested in adding a new browser. Maybe one of these days I'll get the time to upgrade.

Comment

Actually, I couldn't resist a new browser, so I just tried installing on a 10.04 system here where the new "add-apt-repository" feature works. It appeared to accept it, although I don't see it in the sources list. Installing comes up with "couldn't find package qupzilla". Perhaps it's not available for 10.04. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X