This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Latest 2011 Trinity Desktop, 3.5.13

Hello again. I've been hearing a lot about how KDE 3 was at one time "the greatest desktop out there," and how even though it got replaced with KDE4 in 2008, Red Hat and other enterprise distributions still keep it alive. Then I noticed a fork of KDE3 called Trinity, and found that it still has been updating itself! So out of major curiosity, I decided to try it out on an install of Debian stable to see if the hype is justified - I started learning about linux in 2009, so I've never tried this desktop before...

For one, I'm pretty suprised by how the desktop was forked - As well as the desktop, Trinity developers also forked just about every single KDE3 application at the same time, and if I had to install the entire suite, It would be over a GB data to dowdload! Fortunately, a minimal install is 70 MB, so that wasn't a problem.

As for the experience, after installing Ubuntu fonts, the desktop was gorgeous! The old icon theme worked well, the panel had a white gradient that was easy on the eyes, and the window theme felt oldschool, and blended in with the setups. The digital clock, which I've seen as dated in old screenshots of the desktop, weren't there - just regular fonts. I guess the ones who forked it might have given the desktop a makeover somehow... or, looking at how the Kubuntu logo appeared in the icon theme, it might have been derived from kubuntu's older releases.

As for the controls, there were so many, and I decided not to go though all of them - but they look like the same kind and amount as in KDE4, if not with more options. All of them worked like they should, too... Not bad for a fork.

Also, I liked the sound theme, especially how eack mouse click evoked a calm sound to it. I bet it annoyed some people though, but I like it better than kde4's.

Overall, it's a nice, functional, no-distraction desktop. I might keep it as a backup if 12.04 goes bad. I'm wondering... Do you think the KDE3 fork should live in the modern desktop world, or be stuck in the past? I mean, it does have similar features to KDE4, but it does work for the most part, and it "feels" quite polished...

That topic has been discussed several times here. A recent discussion is here
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X