This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLI Calendar - When

I stumbled across this little gem back in my Ubuntu days when I spent way too much time playing with conky.

From the man page:

When - a minimalistic personal calendar program.

The basic idea is just to type `when' at the command line.
    The first time you run the program, it will prompt you for
    some setup information. To edit you calendar file in your
    favorite editor, do `when e'. The basic format of the
    calendar file is like this:

2003 feb 3 , Fly to Stockholm to accept Nobel Prize.

Once you have a calendar file, running the program as plain
    old `when' from the command line will print out the things on
    your calendar for the next two weeks.
    Included are commands that output data on a month or yearly basis also.
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

kewl! I installed it but can't figure out how to edit it, uses emacs.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      kewl! I installed it but can't figure out how to edit it, uses emacs.

woodsmoke
      lol,

edit the preferences file to read editor = kate in ~/.when

man when gives a range of useful command options also.

cheers

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

done and it woiks!
        woodnotaCLIkindaguysmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

It makes a fine 'ToDo' list for anybody wanting to incorporate this data into their desk conky...

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to edit the calendar file from CLI?

Comment

Cool.

bra|10n, it looks like you can edit the .when/calendar file the same as any text file ... using nano, joe, via, emacs, sed, or even the real man's command line editor: cat.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
              Cool.

bra|10n, it looks like you can edit the .when/calendar file the same as any text file ... using nano, joe, via, emacs, sed, or even the real man's command line editor: cat.
              cat.

Hmm..

Would you be so kind as to show how.

This would be great; editing the calendar file via CLI reflecting the changes to 'ToDo' list immediately on the desktop using conky...

Combine this with a on/off launcher (my other thread), and this is everything I'll need

Comment

Using cat as an editor

Advanced technique; should probably be a sticky in the HOWTO section.

Type
                Code:
                cat > filename
                (or
                Code:
                cat >> filename
                to append to an existing file)

Then type the exact desired contents of the file. Press Ctrl-D to finish.

Comment

Serious answer ... nano or joe are pretty good text-mode editors.

Comment

Thanks SecretCode,

cat is all I need for this.

Comment

@woodsmoke,

You might want to incorporate 'when' into your conky to view on-screen dates/appointments etc...

Code:
                      ${execpi 3600 when --future=2|cut -c 24-100}
                      You can adjust it as you see fit of course. I have mine set to show the next 2 days only. The beauty of the --future option* is that you can retain a list of dates that have past, while only showing current -> 2 days in advance in this case, in conky. This might be helpful if you need to retain a running record of such appointments. The cut '-c 24' part cuts out todays date (working for now), the '-100' shows more than enough of the detail to serve it's purpose. The 'update' time 3600 can be set to anything you want (must be > than the update_interval (1.0 normally) set in conky) and will depend on how you wish to use it, eg, for hourly appointments you might set it at 600...

* past=0 will also need to be placed into the preferences file, ~/.when/preferences
                      Last edited by bra|10n; Mar 30, 2012, 04:08 PM. Reason: minor_adjustment.1

Comment

Working...
                      X