This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suicide is painless, Gnome-do, KDE, and menu

I just love the series, but not necessarily the film.

And, curiously, when one is trying to get gnome-do to run under KDE one seriously considers.....

anywho......

One can, indeed install gnome-do under Kubuntu.

However, one cannot EASILY put it into the menu.

The old woodsmoker knows from experience.

But, more to the point.

The old woodsmoker REALLY DOES think that Shuttleworth's "HUD" is just a greatly expanded/integrated gnome-do.

Sooooooooo....given that the Spark Tablet has "some kind" of "plasma" interface.....then at least SOME SMALL AMOUNT of KDE has to be integrated into it.

AND.....if, as the old woodsmoker intuits.... if HUD is really a "gnome-do"....

Then....Shuttleworth's devs have figured how to integrate "gnome-do" with "KDE"...

NOTE; ( I've tried every which way from the chimp in the cab to get gnome do to run in KDE sans going to terminal, and have not been able to do so.....

I normally install Konqueror to do things "sudo Konqueror" and changed every permission that I could find, and still no joy on putting "gnome-do" into the menu.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 21, 2012, 03:40 PM. Reason: respecting feelings of another forum member
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

You raise several points ... but I'm only replying to one ... the Spark tablet is a full KDE Plasma Active interface, is it not? Not "some small amount" but the whole Plasma Workspaces experience (where Plasma Active is another variant after Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook)?

And also ... no Ubuntu and no Shuttleworth there? No Gnome-Do and no Shuttleworth HUD?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

dose'nt krunner do almost all the stuff that gnome-do does? what exactly are you going to gain by using gnome-do other then a bunch of other gnome stuff so you can use it. also it looks really large and ugly and gets another -1 to its coolness for being written in C# and using mono..
      Last edited by sithlord48; Mar 20, 2012, 01:37 PM.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_...r_interface%29
        On 14 January 2011 Canonical also released a technical preview of a "2D" version of Unity based on Qt and written in QML.[16] Unity-2D was not shipped on the Ubuntu 11.04 CD, instead the classic GNOME desktop was the fall-back for hardware that could not run Unity.[17][18]

In March 2011 public indications emerged of friction between Canonical (and its development of Unity) and the GNOME developers. As part of Unity development Ubuntu developers had submitted API coding for inclusion in Gnome as an external dependency. According to Dave Neary, "... an external dependency is a non-GNOME module which is a dependency of a package contained in one of the GNOME module sets," and the reasons why libappindicator was not accepted as an external dependency are that "... it does not fit that definition," it has "... duplicate functionality with libnotify," (the current Gnome Shell default) and its CLA does not meet current GNOME policy.[19] Mark Shuttleworth responded,

This is a critical juncture for the leadership of Gnome. I'll state plainly that I feel the long tail of good-hearted contributors to Gnome and Gnome applications are being let down by a decision-making process that has let competitive dynamics diminish the scope of Gnome itself. Ideas that are not generated 'at the core' have to fight incredibly and unnecessarily hard to get oxygen… getting room for ideas to be explored should not feel like a frontal assault on a machine gun post. This is no way to lead a project. This is a recipe for a project that loses great people to environments that are more open to different ways of seeing the world ... Embracing those other ideas and allowing them to compete happily and healthily is the only way to keep the innovation they bring inside your brand. Otherwise, you're doomed to watching them innovate and then having to "relayout" your own efforts to keep up, badmouthing them in the process. We started this with a strong, clear statement: Unity is a shell for Gnome. Now Gnome leadership have to decide if they want the fruit of that competition to be an asset to Gnome, or not.[20][21][22]
        In April 2011 Mark Shuttleworth announced that Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot would not include the classic GNOME desktop as a fall-back to Unity, unlike Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. Instead Ubuntu 11.10 used the Qt-based Unity 2D for users whose hardware cannot support the 3D version.[23][24] However, the classic GNOME desktop remains available as a fallback in Ubuntu 11.10 through a package in the Ubuntu repositories.[25]

At the November 2011 Ubuntu Developer Summit it was announced:[26]

• that Unity for Ubuntu 12.04 would include non-re-enabling the systray, better application integration, and the ability to drag lenses onto the launcher; and,
        • that the 2D version would use the same decoration buttons as the 3D version.

And here is some advice from Ken Kinder:

KDE: A home for Unity/Gnome 3 refugees

My advice is to use KDE. ....

And dare I say: KDE 4.7 is damn good. It’s probably better than Gnome ever was. That problem of a cluttered system tray? KDE solves it by letting you configure what icons you want always shown. You probably know it’s extremely configurable, and a lot of those options are genuinely useful. Features like “Activities” and “Desktop Widgets” (which in my opinion are largely useless) can be safely ignored and if your desktop is slow, turning off compositing will probably fix it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi guys,

This has been a great bunch of replies, and I have learned a lot. So, I was wrong about HuD and freely admit it.

Sithlord.

I had heard of Krunner but basically didn't know what it does, so I will try that.

Again a great bunch of posts.

Any more commentary would be quite welcome.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            So, I was wrong about HuD and freely admit it.
            Not entirely woodsmoke. This may interest you, may not!

Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Hi Bra|10n

Yes!

That kind of "stuff" is JUST that to which I was referring as "intriguing" that I posted about.

I was using Gnomedo for it in Super OS, and now find that Krunner does the same thing, as mentioned above by SithLord, and ALSO has a stock set of menu options.

One of "the things" that the "minimalists" and "command line" people "complain about" with distros that are other than "minimal" is that they like to "type things".

Gnomedo and Krunner BOTH play into the survey mention earlier, that people in the U.S. are MORE LIKE people that do "CLI" than the the CLI people may think...

The people in the U.S. probably DO NOT know about all that "command line stuff" but, apparently, they would rather "type a command" than "mouse"....

So....it would seem that since I have Gnomedo and Krunner running on Kubuntu that maybe it/they could be an option to ATTRACT more people to Kubu....

just a thought...

And again Bra|10n

THANK YOU for providing that linky

Note:

I would humbly suggest that somebody on the Kubuntu team contact the fellow and get his input.

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 20, 2012, 11:46 PM.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                And here is some advice from Ken Kinder:
                KDE: A home for Unity/Gnome 3 refugees

My advice is to use KDE.
                [...]

Features like “Activities” and “Desktop Widgets” (which in my opinion are largely useless) can be safely ignored
                Sacrilege! ... which I happen to agree with

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                  Sacrilege! ... which I happen to agree with
                  I use the plasma widgets to see CPU % use and temps, the weather widget, the units conversion widgets and the network packet activity. I ignore the Activities feature of the desktop.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 21, 2012, 05:44 AM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I exaggerate slightly. I have quite a few widgets in my panel, and one Pager on my desktop. I haven't bothered to reload others like CPU usage since the last time it got corrupted and I had to wipe all the Plasma settings.

Comment

I use quite a few widgets, depending on what I am doing. If the weather is changeable or I am going to be in and out a lot, then the weather widget, now that the devs have it finally working.

I use the desktop switcher continually, and the folder view. I always have quicklauncher(the rocket) and usually the clock).

I have never been able to get into the activities thing at all.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi all

Wow, what a title. :-(

Here is a story of someone who tried to commit suicide.

Regards...
                        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi Aardvark.

I'm sorry that I offended you but if you happened to miss the original post the title was a takeoff on the song from M.A.S.H. and intended as an attention getter for all the people that have ripped their hair out, metaphorically, trying to do something. The something being that I couldn't get Gnome Do to appear in the menu system.

Again, I apologize.

woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi Woodsmoke...

Thank you for your apology but I was referring to video clip and what the creator(s) chose to call it. It was nothing you did.

I should have clarified better. <---(not "undecided," just "awkward" or "ooops.")

Regards...
                            Last edited by ardvark71; Mar 21, 2012, 05:24 PM. Reason: Added information
                            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Thank you Aardvark, I value your presence here at the forums.

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X