X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome has problems with certain intranet displays

Hi
    The intranet at the college just popped a warning for teachers going to post mid-term grades.

Chrome, has problems displaying the "mask" in which one enters grades and last date of attendance.

Firefox and IE do not have the problems, and since no mention was made of Safari, either there are no Safari using teachers, or it works.

AFTER I entered my mid-terms I did a test run with Chrome and, yes indeedy, it would not display the entry boxes for last date of attendance, at least for moi.

I have to congratulate the college upon becoming "Linux compliant" quite a few years ago they went to some trouble to work with Firefox devs, according to the Linux IT person, to enable that.

Does anyone who uses Chrome have a similar story?

Or, one about FF?

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I have a slightly similar story about Fx. One of the banks I have an account with has a problem on their "feedback" web page: drop-down controls do not appear in Firefox (the drop-downs like Title: Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss/Rev/Dr/Sir/The Hon, or Subject: new account/question/complaint/etc, which are mandatory before your feedback can be submitted). But they do in Rekonq and Midori and, on Windows, IE. South African banks are strikingly insular: they think everyone uses IE on Windows.

I will bet you five forum dollars that this Chrome problem is due to erroneous browser sniffing.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I would not want to take that bet.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

OK, how about 30 trillion original* Zimbabwean dollars?

* Not the first, second or third revaluations, each of which removed 6 to 12 zeroes

Comment

lol
          woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
            South African banks are strikingly insular: they think everyone uses IE on Windows.
            Hi SC...

That happens here in the United States as well but things are slowly starting to change. :-)

Regards...
            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Aardvark wrote:

Banks in U.S.....

I had not thought of that. Possibly by luck, my bank uses only "type-in" responses, and instead of wobbly letters or something, they have a variety of pictures and one picks a picture to use as the security question.

hmmmm ....possibly dumb luck that.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Heh, until a few days ago this laptop came with Chromium pre installed in Win7 I had never used it.
                I must say I don't care for it, I used it to download FF what does what I want and in odd circumstances I might use Opera.
                On Linux I use FF and Konqueror.

Often these kind of boxes are Java stuff and the problem might be there.
                My GF has such an issue on Linux with FF and her bank, I installed Opera for her and it works.
                I've heard Korean banks depend, of all things! on Active-X for secure log in...

Until about 3 or 4 years ago many others,had big problems accessing sites that were very Flash dependent but these days Flash for Linux is reasonably up to date.

And it's many more years ago I last saw a site where it was necessary to set the User Agent to something Microsoft.
                Last edited by Teunis; Mar 17, 2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                  Aardvark wrote:

Banks in U.S.....

I had not thought of that. Possibly by luck, my bank uses only "type-in" responses, and instead of wobbly letters or something, they have a variety of pictures and one picks a picture to use as the security question.

hmmmm ....possibly dumb luck that.
                  Hi Woodsmoke....

I should have clarified better. When I wrote that I meant organizations (that have a presence on the web) in general. I didn't mean just banks. ;-)

Regards...
                  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                  How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                  PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

k
                    woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I have actually changed banks because of difficulties with the account interface not being OS independent. And told them why I was moving my account.

Comment

My bank uses what I have found to be one of the best log in authentication tools I have seen. The keypad image is selected at the time you set it up, and so, is associated with the initial account number identification. The keypad key layout changes every time you access it (the key button placement is randomized). You have to use your mouse to click on your customized PIN using this keypad. As far as I know, this method is incredibly secure.
                        Attached Files
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i have to agree with that keypad thing.

woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Since my bank introduced them in 1993 I use a Digipass of Vasco Data Security http://vasco.com, it's easy to use and so far any breaches were due to social engineering.
                            http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-55556792.html
                            The principle is two-factor authentication via challenge and response.

Comment

The banks I trust (here and in the UK) use one-time passcodes via security tokens - either hardware tokens, or mobile phone apps.

But secure login to your own account is not really the point of the OP is it? It's more that most web developers (in banks or schools or anywhere) don't bother to test their carefully-tweaked pages in "popular" browsers. (I put popular in quotes because maybe they genuinely think that only IE is popular, and very few people use Firefox or Chrome, even though this is demonstrably wrong.) And conversely that web developers who are carefully to use W3C standards find their efforts undermined by the arrogance and non-compliance of IE (which sadly is still popular) and sometimes other browsers.

Comment

Working...
                              X