Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Mac OSX software on Linux--is it possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Mac OSX software on Linux--is it possible?

Since Mac OSX is UNIX, and practically all companies provide "PC and Mac" versions of their software (where "PC" is MISunderstood to mean "personal computer running windoze"), the obvious question is, can OSX software be run on Linux? And, if so, how?

(Yes, I know Google is my friend. :P But I'm more interested in hearing from people who not only use Kubuntu but have explored my question themselves.)
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: Running Mac OSX software on Linux--is it possible?

Oh, come now! With all the talented folks around here, doesn't anyone have anything to say about this? :P
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I don't believe it is possible. In many respects, Mac is even more proprietary in it's API's than Microsoft is.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Someone made an attempt in 2007, but the project appears abandoned.

Comment

I'm thinking more in terms of actually running OSX programs on Linux, not on a virtual Mac inside Linux.

And I understand Snowhog's comment that, in some ways, Mac is even more proprietary in its APIs than Microsoft is, but surely there's a way to make UNIX (OSX) programs run on UNIX (Linux). (Yes, I DO know that Linux isn't really UNIX, but hopefully you'll get my point.)

My daughter is a die-hard Mac user. Maybe I'll have her send me some system files and config files so I can get a feel for how they're similar/dissimilar to Linux.

Comment

I know you didn't want to go Googling, but I did find an interesting discussion about the technical challenges of making OSX programs run on Linux. Looks like someone is trying to make it work anyway, though.

Comment

Thanks for the links, Steve. They look interesting.

Comment

Working...
              X