X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package managers becoming "appliances".

This will be a very short post.

I installed Bodhi a month or so ago and have used it off and on during that time.

I was using it today and decided to move files from it onto a pen drive and suddenly realized something.

The Bodhi way of installing software is a little different than others you install a .bod.

Well, I had installed the software I needed, including printer drivers and then, basically, forgot about it.

As I was moving the files I noticed the several .bod files, which are intended, I guess, to either be deleted or maybe archived, and suddenly I realized that I had....

forgotten about the .bod file and package manager.

In other words..... the experience is "transparent". One does not need to "worry" about the UNDERLYING system.

And, of course, that is what is wanted by all of the developers of the package systems.

The package manager(s) are getting very close to "not" being something to be fraught with angst about.....they are truly becoming "apliances"

It seems to me that the idea is worthy of more than just a cursory thought......

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Package managers becoming "appliances".

Originally posted by woodsmoke

In other words..... the experience is "transparent". One does not need to "worry" about the UNDERLYING system.

And, of course, that is what is wanted by all of the developers of the package systems.

The package manager(s) are getting very close to "not" being something to be fraught with angst about.....they are truly becoming "apliances"
    It's definitely getting better in Linux-world.

"Packaging" is something that isn't thought about much in Windows-world -- at least, not by the users. In point of fact, much of newer Windows software also needs to be in an "environment", i.e. it is also dependent on some other software structures being in place, such as .NET for example.

Debian's APT system is really good at taking care of business, as far as managing software from the Debian repositories. Even running a sid system, I have to work overtime to get in trouble as long as I use APT and the Debian repo sources for packages. The *buntu PPA system is also a pretty safe environment if you stay within it.

Comment

Working...
    X