This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu wireless problem Netgear WG111v3 on 11.04

I was unable to post elsewhere, so here goes.

I am new to Kubuntu. Formerly used Ubuntu 6.04 up to Natty Unity.

I am having wireless problems very similar to what I had under Ubuntu 8.04.

I tried to use network configuration setting up my wireless and I cannot get a connection.
    lshw shows my wlan0

I am using a workaround I developed when using Ubuntu 8.04, a script file which works.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

ifconfig eth0 down

ifconfig wlan0 down
    dhclient -r wlan0
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "mywireless"
    iwconfig wlan0 key '1234567890' 
    dhclient wlan0

Thanks

Re: New to Kubuntu wireless problem Netgear WG111v3

Information on the USB wireless WG111v3 is here. It uses the rtl8187 module.

Modinfo gives the following:
    modinfo rtl8187
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187.ko
    license: GPL
    description: RTL8187/RTL8187B USB wireless driver
    author: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>
    author: Hin-Tak Leung <htl10@users.sourceforge.net>
    author: Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski <herton@mandriva.com.br>
    author: Andrea Merello <andreamrl@tiscali.it>
    author: Michael Wu <flamingice@sourmilk.net>
    srcversion: 93ABDCC395886EA5D113ED1
    alias: usb:v1737p0073d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v1B75p8187d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v18E8p6232d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v13D1pABE6d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v1371p9401d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v114Bp0150d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0DF6p0029d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0DF6p0028d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0DF6p000Dd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v03F0pCA02d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0846p4260d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0846p6A00d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0846p6100d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0789p010Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0769p11F2d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0BDAp8198d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0BDAp8197d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0BDAp8189d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0BDAp8187d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v050Dp705Ed*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias: usb:v0B05p171Dd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    depends: mac80211,eeprom_93cx6,led-class,cfg80211
    vermagic: 2.6.35-25-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
    If you do an lsusb in a Konsole you should see one of the vendor numbers ("v") and product numberrs ("p") above. That modules has no user adjustable parameters so it can only be used as is.

Bottom line, unless you give wicd a try your script is probably the best way to get it going if KNetworkManager can't. If you decide to install wicd then install everything in the repository with wicd in its name BEFORE you completely uninstall KNetworkManager. Then reboot and in a Konsole do "sudo apt-get autoremove" to clean up the remaining debris.

However, your script does work, and I am of the mind that if it isn't broken don't fix it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: New to Kubuntu wireless problem Netgear WG111v3

Originally posted by GreyGeek

However, your script does work, and I am of the mind that if it isn't broken don't fix it.
      Thanks. I will live with it as I did with Ubuntu 8.04

Comment

Re: New to Kubuntu wireless problem Netgear WG111v3 on 11.04

Good choice!

After all, if you have a connection all the rest is just bells and whistles.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek. I've been learning Linux for fun, and an intellectual exercise to keep my mind active in retirement, 6 years now.

Comment

Retired 6 years! 8)

What did you do before you retired?

On June 13th will complete my third year in retirement. Before I retired I was a teacher / programmer. Since I retired I have two jobs; keeping momma happy and spending 6 to 10 hrs a day in front of this notebook answering questions on this forum, following news about Linux and FOSS, and visiting various science sites to keep current on the latest physics and math (courses I used to teach at a small college for 8 years). (I wouldn't have to spend so much time here if I didn't have to use Google so much to refresh my memory.)

Comment

I worked various jobs with one agency in state government for 32 years. Various jobs included a placement interviewer, a fact finder and adjudicator, and case manager.

I noticed that you keep pretty busy answering questions. I attempted to install Kubuntu on another computer of mine using two different Cd's, both ending in failure. Your conclusion in a very similar situation, a motherboard or cpu failure. Beginning to backup my major files preparing for the blue screen of death. Also one of my Ubuntu installs is reacting flaky: missing apps gone, and reappear next boot, temporaring freezing.

Edit: I wasn't willing to give up on this install. I went to rescue mode and reinstalled the kernel. I rebooted and the same problem: I get hung up on the Desktop with the globe. I googled some more and found out about compositing. I disabled the compositing, and voila! I have a working Kubuntu.

Fantastic. Keep up the good work in helping us non-geeks and forever newbies.

Comment

Working...
              X