Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, and 9.10 -- Latest Stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

    Followed this howto and now have XP Pro running in the VM. Great job. The situation I am dealing with is very complicated. I have been challenged to set up a LAN using Ubuntu as the server, but running a Windows only Tax Preperation program in a network environment. The client computers will all be running XP. I won't go into details but I am making progress. I think I can do it using Samba. It is also desirable to have the server as a workstation. I have not installed the software yet, that's my next step. The reason we a doing it this way is to overcome the 10 connection limit imposed by XP. MS puts this limit on XP to force you to buy Windows Server. If I can successfully do this, I will save a non-profit organisation a lot of money. I'll let you know how it works out.

    My immediate question is, how do I enlarge the VM Window? Can I have Windows run full screen?

    Comment


      #32
      Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

      Wow -- my hat is off!

      Originally posted by Detonate

      My immediate question is, how do I enlarge the VM Window? Can I have Windows run full screen?
      Yes. I know this, because I inadvertently did it a few days ago.

      I haven't needed to recreate my VM from scratch for quite awhile, so I can't swear that every step remains the same. But you need to make the VMWare tools CD that I discussed, which has an SVGA video driver on it (#4 on the how-to). That driver will let you set the WinXP screen size in the conventional manner, by right-clicking the XP desktop, selecting "properties" and then going in and resetting the resolution. I normally run my Kubuntu screen at 1600x1200, and my Win XP desktop at 1280x1024, but the other day I accidently set Win XP at 1600x1200, so it filled the entire Kubuntu screen. Except for the little VMWare menu bar at the top, it looked like pure Win XP.

      Comment


        #33
        Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

        OK, now have full screen with video driver installed. Movnig on to installing the Tax Prep Software. Did I mention that the data is all required to be in an encrypted folder using TrueCrypt?

        Comment


          #34
          Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

          Originally posted by Detonate

          the data is all required to be in an encrypted folder using TrueCrypt?


          Floyd, when you strap on a challenge, you don't mess around, do you?

          Comment


            #35
            Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

            I am sorry if this has been covered but I ran into trouble with enabline USBs in guest OS using VMware Player 2.5.2. Searched several places but was not able to find answer. Luckily I found this thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3101299.0 This solved my issue double fold. It allowed me to use my USB in guest OS plus it is now recognized very well as USB 2.0

            I am posting this here just in case any other poor soul like myself ends up here searching for the complete solution regarding VMware Player issues.

            Thanks a ton guys..
            Sony Vaio VGN-NR160E/T<br />Kubuntu 9.04 KDE 4.3.00

            Comment


              #36
              Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

              Simple quick question. I am running 2.5.2 and I have downloaded the 2.5.3 bundle. Should I uninstall 2.5.2 before running the 2.5.3 install?

              Comment


                #37
                Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

                Not required. When running the new bundle update, it recognizes the existance of an earlier installation, and does the removal first.
                Slava Ukraini! 🇺🇦
                Windows no longer obstruct my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

                Comment


                  #38
                  Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

                  Confirming what Snowhog said.

                  Note that if you have a 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 kernel, you'll probably have to patch vmware player. The thread with the information is here:

                  http://communities.vmware.com/messag...BA76EC#1246247

                  HOWEVER, note that the correct version of the second file that you need, vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.30-fix.patch, is actually found 6 posts down the thread.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Re: Free VMware Player on Kubuntu 8.04, 8.10, and 9.04 -- Latest Stuff

                    I'm on Jaunty with 2.6.28 kernel.

                    Comment

                    Users Viewing This Topic

                    Collapse

                    There are 0 users viewing this topic.

                    Working...
                    X