This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedega - thoughts?

I just discovered that this exists and I am wondering if this could possibly be the solution to finally ridding myself of Windows on my pc.

I run a Kubuntu system but need to keep a separate drive with Windows installed for gaming, as most of the games I enjoy run only in Windows. I do not consider myself a heavy gamer, but when I do play, I expect quite high performance and decent frame rates from my hardware. That means I want very little interference from the software or o/s.

I would like to hear peoples opinions on Cedega and its performance with games in Linux, as opposed to Windows. I would like to hear particularly from those who have gaming experience on both platforms.

I just want to be sure about it before I pay the subscription fee for Cedega.

• chris  m •

Re: Cedega - thoughts?

You should definitely try Wine first as it gets much better with every update (about every 2 weeks) and will soon enough surpass Cedega in gaming compatibility and performance (which will just about render Cedega useless). I don't have much experience at all with Cedega as i only tried it for a bit then got rid of it, but Wine performance depends on the app. If the game is OpenGL then it runs as good or better than in Windows (Quake 4, Warcraft 3), if it's DirectX then performance won't be nearly as high as in Windows because DirectX implementation into Wine is still being worked on.

Comment

I just cancelled my cedega subscription, which I had for about 3 years as wine has gotten so good at playing my games (Half Life 2 and Max Payne2).
      I am not a huge gamer, so most games I am unfamiliar with to be honest.

Cedega has a huge advantage in its gui setup and it does seem to support newer games, but I have been having better experiences with wine lately. Check out wines app database and Transgaming's (cedega) game database and look there to see any info on your favorite games.

Comment

Originally posted by OuchOfDeath
        You should definitely try Wine first as it gets much better with every update (about every 2 weeks) and will soon enough surpass Cedega in gaming compatibility and performance (which will just about render Cedega useless). I don't have much experience at all with Cedega as i only tried it for a bit then got rid of it, but Wine performance depends on the app. If the game is OpenGL then it runs as good or better than in Windows (Quake 4, Warcraft 3), if it's DirectX then performance won't be nearly as high as in Windows because DirectX implementation into Wine is still being worked on.
        Interesting view point. I was under the impression that Cedega was based on Wine and optimised for gaming.

Originally posted by claydoh
        I just cancelled my cedega subscription, which I had for about 3 years as wine has gotten so good at playing my games (Half Life 2 and Max Payne2).
        I am not a huge gamer, so most games I am unfamiliar with to be honest.

Cedega has a huge advantage in its gui setup and it does seem to support newer games, but I have been having better experiences with wine lately. Check out wines app database and Transgaming's (cedega) game database and look there to see any info on your favorite games.
        How is your experience with Direct X based games in Wine? Do you feel that Wine does, or will come close to the gaming perfomance with Direct X under Windows?

I am just looking for the excuse to get rid of Win XP altogether. Also, with the arrival of Vista, I am more disgusted with the state of the Microsoft monopoly. Have you seen the EULA for Vista? One look at that will send thousands more converts to Linux
        • chris  m •

Comment

Well my games played recently are Half Life 1 and 2, I have never played HL2 on a windows machine, but the frame rate seems lower than I think it would in a win box, but I have no problems on my hardware with a few game tweaks there it is an enjoyable game, but I wonder at what I may be missing. HL 1 plays very well, I miss nothing.

Unfortunately, my fave game, System Shock 2, (an oldie but goodie) does not play in any emulator any more, but that may be due to the newer nvidia drivers. I think all these are directx games from various eras, but not being a real gamer I can't really competently comment on how directx is in wine, only that it improves with every release it seems

Cedega is based on wine, but I am not sure how old a version it is based on. I wouldn't call it a fork, however but it is optimized solely for games, while wine is more inclusive and supports a lot more than just games

Comment

Interesting view point. I was under the impression that Cedega was based on Wine and optimised for gaming.
            Yeah Cedega is based on a snapshot of the winecode which they then try to optimise for gaming, Wine has come along way since the first WineX realese (Cedega was once called WineX) though, but Cedgea is still better for most games.

Sorry, I don't think you should scrap your XP install yet though, neither Wine natural or Cedega is up tp speed with games. Some you can install but not play, other tends not to install at all and some installs but the experience is poor, If you are lucky it can run fine to :-). It not that easy to make most game work for all, we are all sitting on diffrent kernels, diffrent gui's so make Cedega work for us all is quite the job.

I've been a Cedga subsciber since a few years but mostly for the idea of it, almost never use it. I just install a game and play around with it and try to make it work :-).    /// Freddan
            When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers.

Comment

Cedega was made to run mostly newer games, so you can expect them to run fine. Some older games, like Grim Fandango or Time Commando, may crash in the middle of the gameplay, just like it sometimes happens in the real Windows.
              I couldn't get Motorhead to install under Cedega, but at least it runs fine in WinXP64 with a Glide wrapper.
              Grim Fandango doesn't install in WinXP64 because its installer is 16bit, which WinXP64 cannot execute. I installed under Cedega, copied the installation to my Windows partition and the game ran. Both Cedega and XP crashed at the very same part, but after reloading and playing, the problem didn't occur again.
              Your experience will be game-by-game, Cedega doesn't offer a 100% compatibility with old games. For this matter, you can use your Windows or Wine.

Comment

Without trying to be cheeky:
                Linux for work, win for gaming. Or better yet, Wii for gaming and win for? :P
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by c_martini
                  I just discovered that this exists and I am wondering if this could possibly be the solution to finally ridding myself of Windows on my pc.

I run a Kubuntu system but need to keep a separate drive with Windows installed for gaming, as most of the games I enjoy run only in Windows. I do not consider myself a heavy gamer, but when I do play, I expect quite high performance and decent frame rates from my hardware. That means I want very little interference from the software or o/s.

I would like to hear peoples opinions on Cedega and its performance with games in Linux, as opposed to Windows. I would like to hear particularly from those who have gaming experience on both platforms.

I just want to be sure about it before I pay the subscription fee for Cedega.

What's the motive to get rid of windows operating system if you use it only for gaming?

Comment

I've played UT2004 on cedega - it works fine, specially in OpenGL mode

Comment

ut2004 plays perfectly fine without cedega, just use the linux installer.

Comment

I installed through Wine-Doors: Steam, CS, CS Zero, DoD and actually all of them run better than using Cedega (I have a subscription) so I tested both. I would go with Wine-Doors and Wine itself all the way. There's only one game that have me attached to Cedega: Command and Conquer Generals and Zero Hour for that matter. This game through Cedega runs better than the same game running on Windows (with the very same Hardware). So, bottom line, depends on the game, it's up to you to make some tests.

Regards,

MepisReign
                        Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

What do you mean with running better? Faster? No bugs? Better graphics or sound?

Comment

The only games I play much are Steam games (halfe-life 1 and 2, etc). Current wine versions in Edgy, and I think Dapper even run these games much better than cedega in every way. Faster, better graphics and sound, fewer bugs. I have never played these games in windows, so i can only compare wine and cedega. I cancelled my cedega subscription (after over 3 years) because wine is so much better now for me.

I really depends on the game and often how much you wish to do in your own in terms of setup and tweaks. What works for me may be crap for someone else's game

Cedega is so much different than wine nowadays that they have to be considered separate products, even though it is based on older wine code iirc

Comment

Originally posted by DMurray
                              What do you mean with running better? Faster? No bugs? Better graphics or sound?
                              Stunning graphics, faster. Just a little bug thou, some small cinematics will not display, at least on my case. But in general, the game will run with great graphics and sound

Regards,

MepisReign
                              Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Working...
                              X