This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Game Suggestions?

While I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, I do occasionally like to play a round or two.

I grew up during the NES-SNES era, so games along those lines I like to play occasionally. Do like SuperTux2 and SuperTuxKart.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other hidden gems along those lines that are also portable (AppImage, Binary Archive or even something that I can run locally in a browser)?

Thanks!
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Hi
    the classic game is, of course, Gweled. It is the original of what became BEjeweled. And, now, for those reading who have not lately played it, surprisingly has the very GRUFF "level up' sound.

It is not in the Android "play store" there are a dozen of the clones of Bejeweled and the original Bejeweled.

This is the website for it but one can only download a .tar and Android won't do anything with it.

http://gweled.org/

If one wanted to roll it as an android app one could probably play it on the android phone.

Here is a "cloud thing" that supposedly has it one has to create and account and can play '1" app for free so it it has the games that you might like then that might be one way to do it on a phone.

https://www.rollapp.com/app/gweled#reviews

Dont' know about that.

You mention AppImage so that kind of maybe says that you want to play it on a desktop or a laptop but then you mention playing it as a "portable" implying on a phone.

"Appparently" making and Appimage is not "that" hard, you might just find a game in the repos that you like and maybe figure out how to make an Appimage and put that on the phone, but don't know if it will work with android. When it was made you could send it to the phone using KDEconnect of course.

Here is the site for Appimage but it seems to only run "Ubuntu type Linux" and not "android type linux.

However they provide an app named "firejail" which may, or may not work on android.

https://appimage.org/
    so, anyway, it is in the Kubuntu repos, search for "gweled" and is one of the classic games for Linux, going back a decade or more.

Possibly expand a little on precisely what it is that you want to do.

if you have any other questions please ask and maybe supply some more information to get a better response.
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 17, 2019, 09:18 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if a "portable" applications is more of a Windows term.

This is all for desktop use.

By "portable", I mean it isn't installed throughout the system, it can be run from the home directory, a USB drive, a regular external drive etc. You download the compressed file, extract it's contents and then click on the appropriate file, be it an executable or an index page for the browser. The browser game is not on the internet, it just happens to use the browser, but the files are local.

If you go to Krita's website, to the "all downloads", you'll see an option for Window's Portable or for Inkscape, you'll see "Binary Archive". On the Linux system, the closest version that I can think of is how Blender is distributed for Linux (especially for 2.8 onward) directly from blender.org. That's what I'm talking about in this case for "portable". Not installed via a repo, .run or .sh and spread throughout the system, making it easier (portable) to move from system to system.

Comment

ok
        thanks, I guess that i have been out of the windblows mileu for too long.
        woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          ok
          thanks, I guess that i have been out of the windblows mileu for too long.
          woodsmoke
          I heard that.

I've only used Linux full time for 5 yrs (about 10 yrs if you include just playing around), but I still have to upkeep my dad's Win 10 machine (which he hates, but just too old to switch to something new, he likes tech, just doesn't like learning it), so I still have a couple of toes in the Window's waters.

I've always liked the aesthetics of Windows (I grew up during the DOS days), Win 98 was actually my fav (still have a portable embroidery digitizing program from that era (later open sourced in '06) that still runs and still runs well under WINE) and still is as I'm able to run that in a VM and I even have Kubuntu looking like Win 7/10

Comment

Working...
          X