Disable compositor for WINE games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disable compositor for WINE games?

Up to this point I have only very occasionally played Linux games like 0 A.D., Endless Sky or Pingus on my computer.
    But being a huge fan of The Witcher 3 on my PlayStation I recently decided to buy a second hand Windows version of The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition.

This is my first Windows game I run in Linux. I have installed it using Lutris and it runs like a charm in 1680 x 1050 with maximum graphics settings (on my AMD iGPU !!!).
    I even use my PlayStation controller without problems to play it.

And here comes the question:
    -> Should I disable the compositor before running The Witcher 2 in Lutris/WINE? (E.g. manually with qdbus org.kde.KWin /Compositor suspend)

Honestly I am not sure if I can tell any difference between running The Witcher 2 without and with the compositor enabled - but I have only just begun playing it…

What are your experiences with Windows games running in WINE in this regard?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 26, 2024, 11:58 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

If you run the game full screen, the compositor is automatically disabled. or it is supposed to be.

I used to manually disable it, back before Kwin did so on its own. But back then, in the dark ages of Linux gaming (2010-ish?) I had dinky potato level GPUs, and it did make some difference, but not enough to hurt things too much if I forgot.
    I don't even think about it these days, even when I still had under-powered cards.
    If you can't tell, then it isn't hurting performance Or it is being disabled for you.
    But you may want to test on a busy or action packed scene to really know.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts.
      I will keep an eye on it and report back if I observe anything worth reporting (e.g. in crowded fighting scenes).

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I have not noticed any difference so far and I think claydoh is right: the compositor is disabled automatically for my game (probably also due to the setting in System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Compositor -> Allow applications to block compositing ).
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 23, 2024, 11:29 AM. Reason: Welcome deleted. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Welcome and thank you for your answer.
          Post deleted. User account deleted. Registered spammer by email address and IP on StopForumSpam.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X