This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY Steam For Linux Will...

Finally someone has taken the initiative to do what should have been done when Snaps first rolled out, as a great flagship application to showcase. Steam will soon be available for any distro via a Snap. Gamers and system builders rejoice.

TLDR: Single Steam/LSI image that takes all of the Solus gaming/Steam work, and provides it for everyone, on any distro.
    Via Solus on G+
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Nice but I would think you are still limited to only those games whose release had linux in mind as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
      Nice but I would think you are still limited to only those games whose release had linux in mind as well.
      Well of course. But that number was over 3k in February, and I think I read somewhere over 4k now. So really, if one claims they can't switch full time to Linux for gaming, they are part of the problem, not the solution - or at least not helping the cause - IMHO.

Over 3,000 Linux Games Are Now Available on Steam
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I already have Linux Steam, that is how I own Portal 1 & 2, Borderlands 2, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, etc.. And I believe I got mine over my distro, this was years ago. So what exactly is going to change?

I also buy games via GOG (Good Old Games) and shop for bargain bin games at the mall. For the ones that do require Windows OS, I use DOSBOX or WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) an OpenGL overlay which for most older games works pretty well. ScummVM is another that allows access to old Lucas Arts adventure games. Also I was invited for alpha/beta testing a new Linux 3D MMO planned to release sometime next year, but there has been some technical issues, and the date was pushed back.

I suppose my point being, there are quite a few avenues to Linux games both free and commercial and Steam is one of them and has been for years.

Comment

Working...
        X