Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight I killed the Dragon!

Playing Minecraft 18.1 Java Edition.
    I had killed the dragon about 10 years ago when I and my grandsons played Minecraft on my server.
    They've gone on to girls and marriage so I play single player alone.

After I killed the Dragon I jumped into the return port and was greeted with the game credits, which happened ten years ago as well.
    Except .... it took 65 minutes for the credits to roll by. Ten years ago, IIRC, it took around 15 minutes, which seemed forever then.

It starts with one or more spirit beings talking about the player, as a scrolling script. A huge mystic word salad later, the people credits start rolling by, at about one person per second. Over two thousand people later it comes to and end and drops me back into the world.

Nearly everyone who is working or did work (Minecraft Alumni) on Minecraft actually works for a 3rd party head hunter, which supply coders, Q&A, testers, managers, lawyers, consultants to Microsoft and in exchange handle all the payroll withholding and such. Microsoft gets a single periodic bill which they write off entirely as a business expense.

I was hoping for an Easter egg or something similar but no joy.

Adios, Minecraft... it was fun while it lasted.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

That's epic. I still wax nostalgic for Minecraft from time to time. The greatest PC sandbox ever made.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      That's epic. I still wax nostalgic for Minecraft from time to time. The greatest PC sandbox ever made.
      Play it often still here. The kids no more do. HS and College grad. So I understand. I just play to keep my texture pack moving forward. Was recently playing an old world and just went to Creative mode to see what I could find and found areas I didn't know my kids even were there building. Was a shock to find abandon builds from them.

Comment

Crazy how we get to treasure things from loved ones that - in this age - are both real and virtual. And occasionally equally moving.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Around 2014 or 2015, my middle grandson asked me to set up a new world so he could invited 4 of his friends to join so they could play without grandpa around. LOL! I purchased a Realm server so they could play at any time without my computer being on all the time. As the realm owner I could silently log in with the equivalent of the spectator mode. I forget what it was called. I watched on a couple occasions as they built, played, PVP'd and chatted. They played without cheating and didn't use profanity or vulgarity. Made me proud of them. As far as I know they never knew that I was observing.

One day my middle grandson called me and asked if I destroyed their build. I logged in and sure enough, their buildings were destroyed and lava was poured all over everything. burning the wood and covering the stone. When I consulted the logs I found the IP address of the perp, One of the boys had shared the IP address and access data with his friend, the perp. Since the perp violated the DMCA I contacted his ISP, reported him, and sent him an email explaining why what he did was illegal. He responded by bragging about what he did and insulting me. I guess he thought he was immune from repercussions. The ISP cut his internet connection and canceled his account. I doubt if he learned anything from it. I didn't renew the Realm the next month. I created a fresh world on my computer and would mount it when Tyler called to let me know when he and his friends were going to play on it.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There's a dragon in Minecraft? There's an ending?? I had no idea. I always play Fallout, Borderlands, Elder Scrolls, and stuff like that.
            I tried to play Minecraft a couple years ago, but I didn't understand why I was doing what I was doing. Didn't even realize there was a plot.
            I played with Legos as a kid. I don't know why I wouldn't latch onto it.
            Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
            Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Working...
            X