Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terasology - a Minecraft alternative

You can download it from here: https://terasology.org/

It is written in C# and is very fast. Shaders are built in. The sky, clouds, trees and water are gorgeous.
    My system has a GT 650M GPU and I'm getting 60fps with no GPU heating. It stays around 60C and has a shutdown at 127C.
    The documentation on how to do things is sparse and crafting is not even similar to Minecraft or Mineclone2. As far as I know there are no mobs, but the engine generates large cities and villages containing NPCs. Here is a video showing various aspects of it. It is long but you can fast-forward or drag the marker bar while watching frames flash by.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Sadly, I am uninstalling Terasology. It runs fine on my HP laptop. It is stunningly beautiful, far better visually than Minecraft. However, while similar to Minecraft, knowing how to play Minecraft is of little help in playing Terasology. The "crafting" table operates differently, as do the furnaces. The CLI is totally different. There are not many mods made for it. It compares to Minecraft 1.12 in graphical features. BUT, its biggest lack is documentation. A tutorial explaining all the items, and how to use the crafting whatever would do wonders, but the devs (the only ones who know the insides of the game) haven't devoted much time to documenting what they wrote. That's why there are only 35 members in their forum, and why most YT tutorials, which are always short and lacking, are from before 2015.
    Overall, one big disappointment.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It's a rarity for a coder to also be a documenter. Most agencies who have coders also employ documenters (?) to create the documentation.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's true. In Terasology's case I suspect that the developer(s) didn't attract enough interest to create a pool of testers and documentors. Too bad, because the parts of the game I tried was gorgeous and smooth.

Comment

Working...
        X