This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming on KDE Neon Using a new RX-480 Graphics Card

Just a quick tip to say that I recently purchased an RX-480 8GB XFX card and have used it for gaming over the last week. Here's a few tips to get things up and running if you go this route. It's a niche, I know, but maybe it will help someone out, as it will work on any modern AMD card (R9 290 / 380 / 390, RX 480 / 470 / 460, etc.). Here's what you need to get things working - it's pretty simple really.

1) Install a newer kernel from the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel site. You'll need a kernel >= 4.9. At this time, you'd want the v4.9-rc7 kernel, but 4.9 is scheduled to release proper in the next few weeks. 4.9 has all the MESA and RadeonSI open source goodness Note: Here's a great script to automate downloading the latest kernel and installing automatically - works like a charm! Note: Should you use the script, it will only ask two questions - Do you want the latest mainline kernel, and do you want it to be low-latency. You would answer 'y' and 'n', respectively: Ubuntu Kernel Upgrader Script

2) For modern games to run using open source drivers, you need need an updated MESA and graphics stack. Luckily this is as easy as installing Oibaf's 'Updated and Optimized Open Graphics Drivers PPA' from here. This PPA gets updated practically daily, just so you know.

3) Do a full system upgrade and re-boot

5) Game!!*

* One note I found whilst trying to run games made with Unity in Steam, you might experience a game freeze shortly after launch. If that's the case, the fix is easy: Right-click the game in Steam and select 'properties'. Then go to 'launch options' and in the text box type '-force-gfx-direct' (minus quotes). Then launch the game. Running in to this bug is fairly common as many Linux games are built using Unity.
    Last edited by dequire; Nov 28, 2016, 04:31 PM.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Do you know if this also applies to R9 270? It's technically a GCN 1st gen part rather than the cards you list above which are 2nd/3rd/4th Gen.

I have tried all of Kubuntu 14.04, 16.04 and KDE Neon in the hope of getting good desktop perforamnce and 3D performance for some games. I cannot get a working setup on any of the above that does not either have unusable screen tearing on the desktop, or poor 3D performance. At the moment I just use Windows rather than Linux as I can't get a usable system with this GPU.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by earlsven View Post
      Do you know if this also applies to R9 270? It's technically a GCN 1st gen part rather than the cards you list above which are 2nd/3rd/4th Gen.

I have tried all of Kubuntu 14.04, 16.04 and KDE Neon in the hope of getting good desktop perforamnce and 3D performance for some games. I cannot get a working setup on any of the above that does not either have unusable screen tearing on the desktop, or poor 3D performance. At the moment I just use Windows rather than Linux as I can't get a usable system with this GPU.

Thanks.
      I'm not sure on this one, you might still be a generation out. But really, it wouldn't hurt to try as you can always reboot to Grub if everything fails and load your previously-working kernel and then purge everything else out.
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Also, please note that currently for your card, the open-source driver is the only option, as the proprietary driver is not currently supported (or available) for 16.04+. This is OK, since that driver is really just the old FGLRX driver anyway.
        http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...s=Linux+x86_64
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
        X